Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need someone to provide me with information or a website that explains the installation of Mustang II rack onto my 73 front sub frame. I have the new rack and it will be front steer. I understand centering and leveling the rack at ride height, notching the sub frame for the steering shaft. The main question is which tie rod ends will connect the rack to my stock steering arms (will be flipping my arms to front steer). I have posted this question on another Nova forum. No dice. Any help will be appreciated, no opinions please, just facts.
Thanks,
Tommy C.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
I need someone to provide me with information or a website that explains the installation of Mustang II rack onto my 73 front sub frame. I have the new rack and it will be front steer. I understand centering and leveling the rack at ride height, notching the sub frame for the steering shaft. The main question is which tie rod ends will connect the rack to my stock steering arms (will be flipping my arms to front steer). I have posted this question on another Nova forum. No dice. Any help will be appreciated, no opinions please, just facts.
Thanks,
Tommy C.
I got some facts for you right here!

"flipping the arms " typically will create negative ackerman, & the car will scrub the tires while turning quite a bit.

unless you are doing a drag only car with limited front end travel, it will bumpsteer worse than stock.

also, just to continue the picking on you (so we all learn together :)) ... what do you mean by "leveling the rack at ride height".. ?

·
Vendor
1,233 Posts
Thanks,
Tommy C.

Hi Tommy,
It isn't as simple as getting it hooked up and just making it turn right and left. Here is a link to a couple of pages in the Heidts catalog.
http://www.heidts.com/Catalog/index.html#/68/zoomed
It explains bump steer and how rack length and positioning will affect bump steer. If you reverse the steering arms you will have massive tire scrub when turning. If you want rack and pinion steering you would be much better off buying a pre-engineered kit.
Tim

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
I used the arms from Chassis Engineering, but I'm not sure I'd want to live with my setup on a daily driver. I didn't get the rack perfectly positioned, so it steers better in one direction than the other; U-turns and parking are a pain in the butt due to a lack of sufficient travel in the rack. If I was to do it again, I'd probably go with a kit designed by an engineering kinda guy! There is also a rack available with longer travel to help the turning radius.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The rack and pinion needs to be leveled at ride height with the tie rod end installed on the steering arm to prevent bump steer. I understand I may not be able to use my stock steering arms. I may have to pull some off of an A or G-body. I had a buddy set one up this way but he moved away, so I cant get him to help. I found something kind of close on powerblocktv.com yesterday while doing a search. They used some custom s-10 front steer spindles, pontiac tie rods with a mustang ii rack. I will research some of the made to order sub frame kits. Might be my only option. I just wanted to do more work than spend a lot of dough that I don't have. Thanks for all the help guys.
Tommy C.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hi again,
I took the advice given. I decided to nix the mustang rack, not enough travel.Also did research on some 68-74 "nova specific" rack kits. The price range is a little more forgiving than putting 3-7000$ on a complete sub frame assembly. Anyone have any experiences with these nova rack kits?

Tommy C.

·
Registered
1,080 Posts
The rack and pinion needs to be leveled at ride height with the tie rod end installed on the steering arm to prevent bump steer. Tommy C.
This is actually not true.. a more correct statement would be the tie rods need to be parrallel to the lower control arm... but the tie rod pivot location & tie rod length also needs to be correct... these & a whole load of other issues need to be addresed when designing a steering system.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts