Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright guys, if I were to piece together my own Mustang II front clip for the Nova, can I use any standard mustang II upper and lower control arm, or are they a specific width (custom arms) for our Nova's?

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
I have seen Novas with stock MII uppers and lowers.Back in the day when Arizona Nova made just a weld in crossmember it was very popular

·
Registered
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
awesome!!

I didnt really mean "stock" but lets say I bought just the crossmember (entire unit to bolt to the car) can I use standard mustang II tubular upper and lower arms?

·
Premium Member
7,763 Posts
awesome!!

I didnt really mean "stock" but lets say I bought just the crossmember (entire unit to bolt to the car) can I use standard mustang II tubular upper and lower arms?
That's the nice part about "Mustang II" suspension. Everything's interchangeable.

Some modifications have to be made to the x-member to switch from stock Ford stamped lower control arms to tubular but it's not difficult.

You basically have two choices to convert to Mustang II. A weld-in x-member which allows you to remove the shock towers for more room (and BBC friendly if desired) or one of the many available bolt-on front clips which accomplishes the same thing. The clips make it an easy bolt-on.

With either a weld-in X-member or a clip you can use any component designed for the Mustang II suspension. They are identical as far as the components.

I added a weld-in Mustang II x-member to my '64 in 1994 and originally used factory stamped components and springs. Over the years I have changed and swapped pretty-much all of the components around on it. Here's the latest setup:

• Heidt's narrowed upper & lower polished stainless tubular control arms
  • Heidts 2" forged drop spindles
  • Heidts zero-offset Wilwood Hubs & Caliper Brackets
  • Wilwood Dynalite II disc brakes
  • QA1 aluminum coil-overs
  • Factory Mustang II rack

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
I've got a older style Heidts weld in crossmember with spring towers removed. I'm running stock upper control arms from a 77 mustang and the Heidts "economy" full lower control arms. I'm also running a stock mustang manual rack in it with stock tie rod ends and the stock mustang spindles with a speedway brake kit using GM rotors/ calipers. Also, I installed the Heidts front sway bar made specifically for 1st gen nova with MII suspensions. Makes a big bifference in handeling. Switching to this style front suspension was probably the best upgrade I've ever done. Well worth it.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts