Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Muncie tailhousing and shifter mount for 1963 Nova

I am trial fitting my motor/trans and I know I need to change the trans tailhousing so that the shifter is in the right location. My trans is an M20 Muncie from a 1970 vehicle. I have an 8008 Hurst shift mount bracket and I can see that it doesn't fit the trans now, so I'm hoping I can just buy a 3857584 tailhousing and the 8008 mount and shifter will work. But, will the 3857584 tailhousing bolt up to this trans? I know my output shaft requires a Turbo 400 yoke. Hopefully I'm not SOL. I guess worst case is I find the right shifter mount and use this current tailhousing in the wrong shifter location.

·
Registered
1969 Nova . . 2dr . . Chino Valley,Az USA
4,934 Posts
do either of these TWO things :

pm -- Jody's Transmission ....... talk to Jody - he is a member @ SNS.

call -- Paul Cangialosi or go to his web-site :

5speeds.com .... he does all stick shift trannys .... (he would know about different Munice tailhousing's (I thought they were the same --- ? ).

... jim

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
The 3rd Gen Nova shift doesn’t bolt directly to the tailshaft, it actually clamps to it, so it will be fine. As for the larger output 400 style, I’m pretty sure the rear seal is the only difference and they share the same tail stock, hopefully someone can chime in to confirm this.
764 is the tail stock casting number for 70-74 with 32 spline and passenger speedo.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks Taz. I just talked to Paul at 5speeds.com. He said there is a kit with the correct linkages and mount to install a Hurst shifter to my 3978764 tailhousing which locates the shifter to come through the floor in the same spot as a '64 Nova for less than $200. You can't beat that. I'll post the part numbers and stuff when I get them. I also have to go to the 400 style yoke since I previously had a 350 turbo, and I may have to shorten my driveshaft slightly, but we'll see. Life sure is easier with the internet.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts