Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a REPRODUCTION muncie shifter in my SS. I wanted to take the car out for a drive tonight and it locked in reverse and 1st gear. I got the trans unstuck and now when I shift it feels like I am pushing a fork thru mashed potatoes!!! What gives?!?!? I disconected the linkages from the trans and it feels the same. I was planning on replacing the shifter with a new one from Hurst next winter but it looks like it might be sooner!!!!!! :(

·
Premium Member
2,240 Posts
shifter issues..

There should be a centering hole in the shifter body to realign the levers. i think you disconnect the rods and then use a 1/4" drill bit to align all the moving parts. better to get a Hurst body and install a MUncie handle...the repro units are even worse than the originals.

wilma

·
Premium Member
2,950 Posts
I never thought the Muncie shifter was worth a hill of beans after I power shifted from 1st to 2nd and broke the shifter handle in my '63 vette. The handle ended up in the back of the car. Same day I bought a Hurst Competition-Plus and never broke one of them.:D

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Does it stay in gear when you put it in first? With the linkage disconnected, is it possible to manually put the transmission in 1st and 3rd at the same time?

There are a couple of parts inside the transmission that give the click feel/sound when you change gears. The first is the syncro keys and spring retainer and the other is the lever lockouts on the side cover. The levers on the side cover have knotches that give the click and a spring that keeps tension. They also prevent multiple gear engagement. If you can put the transmission is 1st and 3rd at the same time, then the levers on the side cover are the culprit.

Edit: If you physically got it in two gears at the same time while the car was moving and the clutch was engaged, something inside the transmission would have to give/break or the rear tires would have to lock up. the output shaft cannot spin if two gears are engaged.

·
Premium Member
2,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I can put the trans into gear by moving the levers. When the shifter locked up I SLOWLY let out the clutch and the car died. I knew something was wrong and was able to get it out of gear and get home.

Wilmasboy I looked at the shifter and found no such hole?!:confused: Maybe the repos "forgot" to add that !:rolleyes: I know on the hurst shifters there is such a hole.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts