Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I thought I had a M20 tranny with no levers from a '69 Camero but after some serious investigation have found that it is in fact an M21 (3946798 on the tag). It's been in the trunk of my car for 30 years and I have now taken a good look at it. About 20 years ago I bought a Muncie shifter gate and rods. Well, when I went to test install the shifter gates and rods, just to see how they fit, I found that the rods were way to long with the gates located in the front holes. The rod lengths are 17", 13" and 8". The guy I bought them from said they were Nova but apparently they are not for a ’65. Now I’m wondering if I have the correct gates since the rods aren’t correct. Are all Nova Muncie gates during that era the same? I would appreciate any info about the gates and rod lengths for the ’65. It looks like I'm going to have to go to the Wanted forum now for rods and levers. Thanks

·
Registered
69 Posts
Post pictures of the trans and shifter and linkage, and I might be able to ID what you have...

Are there any numbers stamped into any of the shifter parts???

If you can't post on this site, E-mail them to me: [email protected]

Thanks... Crash

·
Premium Member
1965 2door HT Helena, GA 31037
1,531 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
I appreciate the reply. I cleaned the rods up and could not find any numbers on them, The only thing stamped on them was a big "M" over a small "W".

There was a number on the gate 3841476A,

I posted photos of the rods, tranny and gates at:
http://s1139.beta.photobucket.com/u...gates-rods002_zps3144a3bb.jpg.html?sort=3&o=4

The tranny does have a tag on it with 3946798 which I researched and found that it's suppose to be an M21 out of a '69 Camero. The guy I bought it from did say it was out of that model car.

I read on a post here dated back in 2006 that said Nova Muncie gates were different that the gates for other Chevy models. Is that true? Thanks for any help you can give me.

12-23-1012 Update:
Finally found out that the rods I have are for a 67 Corvette. I found a set for sale and they look exactly like the rods that I have. NOT NOVA!! :)

1 - 3 of 3 Posts