Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Changed from TH-350 to muncie 4-speed , transmission yoke will slide all the way in the rear of the 350, but not the Muncie, making it impossible to get the driveshaft into the rear yoke. Have I got the wrong front yoke?

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Which output shaft does your muncie have. If it is a 27 spine, the yokes are the same. If it is a 32 spline, you will need a new yoke (the same as a TH400). If you have the correct yoke, how far is it going in? about 1 inch? If so the tailhousing may need to be adjusted abit to correctly center the tail bushing on the shaft.

The tail housing is suppose to be tighten down with the yoke inserted.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yoke goes in to where there is about 1.25" of the snout still out of the tail housing. The same yoke will slide completly up into the 350. Yoke does not feel like it is bottoming out, just feels like it is binding.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
1-1/4 inch is about a 1/4 inch too much. Is your rear suspension compressed? You need to make sure the rear suspension is supporting the weight of the car before measuring. If the rear tail bushing is new, it will be pretty snug.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
I will try to align the tail housing tomorrow and see what happens.

Thanks
Do you have a couple of pics first? If you got it to slide in that far, You've engauged the pilot bushing. From you description, I can't tell if you if you've got the drive shaft connect to the differential or you can,t get in far enough. Like I said above, a rebuild tranny will have a very tight bushing. Put a little 90 weight on the outside of the yoke and see if it will slide further in. Last question, how long is your yoke? I want to make sure it is not too long and hitting the speedo gear.

If you loosen the tail housing, you may have to replace the gasket

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I can not get it in to the differential because it will not slide forward far enough up into the tail housing, it lacks about 1" to 1.50" of going all the way up. The snout on the front yoke is 3.75" long.

Thanks

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Just measures the yoke on my spare shaft same , OK.Was the trans just rebuilt ? The condition of the output shaft inspected ? Twisted splines from a previous life ? Drive shaft measures 57 1/4 tip to tip and the drive shaft tube measures 49 ". Just some more ref . Good luck.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
Is the transmission rebuilt? Have you pushed really hard? It will be tight if it is rebuilt. It sounds like you've gotten it in the tranny about 2.5 inches which means your sliding into the tail bushing. I would try giving it a really hard push first. It only needs to slide in about 1/4 - 1/2 more inch. It will need to slide all the way in to connect it to the differential though.

·
Premium Member
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have loosened the bolts that hold the tail housing on, took out the crossmember bolts, and jacked the motor up so that the tail housing has no pressure on it. I have taken the yoke off of the driveshaft and tried to tap it in with a rubber mallet, it stops about 1" from going all the way in. I am beginning to think that my so-called rebuilt transmission has twisted splines on the tailshaft.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
That is a possibility. First, put a tape measure inside the yoke and see where it bottoms out and do a little calculating. You won't be able to tell if the tail shaft has twisted unless you take the tail shaft housing off. Taking it off is easy, puting it back on is a little trickier, but not hard. Does you yoke slide all the way into the TH350? If you really think it is twisted, I'd call the guy you bought it from.

·
Premium Member
510 Posts
Do you have a spare yoke to try in the TH 350 and also try in the 4 speed ? just another option . Did the specs I gave you match up with your drive shaft ?

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
My drive shaft is about 53 inches long to the center of the u-joints, but nothing on my car is original. The only thing I can suggest is to take the rear seal out and try to look insided. You may be able to get a visual of the tail shaft by shining a light through the speedo hole.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts