Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just installed an M22 trans in my Nova.

I connected the same original Muncie linkage.

I can't hesitate to shift from 1st to 2nd or it won't go in.
It also won't downshift from 3rd to 2nd...at all.
The rest of the shifting seems to work fine even downshifts into 1st just fine.

Sound like a stuck sychro?.... or did I hook the linkage up wrong?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Wayne

·
Registered
861 Posts
Did you align the linkage at the shifter body? On the body of the shifter there is a hole on each side. You align these "holes" with the Hurst shifter body arms(located near the top of the arm) so they line up. Use the shaft end of a bolt or alike to slide thru these holes to use as a guide. This puts all the body arms in zero relation to the shifter body . Now adjust your linkage rod ends, making sure all the trannie rod lever arms are in the neutral position. Then remove bolt from the aligning hole.

·
Premium Member
231 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I took the Nova to a local rest shop and they aligned the linkage.
It does shift smoother but the same 2 problems remain...

1. Shifting from 1st to 2nd has to be fast or it won't go in.

2. It will NOT downshift to 2nd. It will downshift to 3rd and even 1st.

I'd appreciate any other suggestions?

wayne

·
Premium Member
3,151 Posts
It sounds to me like internal tranny problems. Linkage shouldn't affect the 1-2 shift since it's the same rod. Same goes for a downshift to 2nd. If you can go from 3rd to 1st easily, it sure should go 3rd to 2nd at least as easy.

Carl

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Sounds like the blocker rings are worn to the point of not doing their job. If that is the case, it is a complete teardown to replace them. It will be more cost efficient to buy a bearing & seal kit w/blocker rings and rebuild the tranny, as it is only a little more work than tearing it down to install the blocker rings.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts