Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I've been having trouble shifting my muncie when it gets warmed up. My problems are when I come to a stop and try to put it into any gear it won't go until I turn the car off (does not do it when cold). When I'm driving, it shifts perfect. So I thought maybe it was low on gear oil and it was, however it still does it. I then took it out and had it rebuild. Some of the synchos were worn. Now I have a rebuilt muncie that still hard to shift when hot. Also I repaced the shifter (Hurst) because the one I had was old and felt sloppy. Any ideas? Thanks

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
It sounds like your clutch isn't releasing fully. Either it's not adjusted right, or it's toast.

·
Premium Member
31,194 Posts
X2 on the clutch, check the fork for any cracks as well as the Z bar. If it will shift with the engine off, then it's more then likely a clutch issue, or the throwout bearing isn't sliding correctly when it's hot.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I will check the fork and z-bar, however I don't understand why it only does it when it gets warmed up. If the z-bar or fork was bent wouldn't it do it all the time, at any temp? When I press down on the clutch it's smooth and without any binding. Oh the throw-out bearing and the front bearing retainer on trans are new as well as the clutch disc and pressure plate (Zoom).

·
Registered
2,968 Posts
When you step on the clutch, where is the engaging point?...just off the floor in the pedal travel? Its more likely the clutch will work when its cold, if the clutch is not fully disengaging the trans it will heat up. parts expand when hot right, it may be just enough to give you an issue. My other thoughts are that the pressure plate is defective. With the clutch "sort of " working, shifting gears will work as your also close to matching rpms with the shift points but when you come to a stop there is an issue.

Todd

1 - 5 of 5 Posts