Chevy Nova Forum banner

41 - 48 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
The welded brace you put on the backs of the spring perch is a common dragstrip mod....I've seen them fold up and it isn't pretty, can hurt a lot of stuff like body panel, driveshaft, transmission if the rear gets loose.
No worries. I am setting this up as a cross-country cruiser with very little time on the strip. :)

Mike

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
Just curious but if they fold up and the rear gets loose what could make that little gusset welded from the back of the saddle to the axle tube cause so much damage..? I’m not questioning whether or not it is possible just what is the dynamic that is taking place to create such potential damage..?
The welded brace yuo put on the backs of the spring perch is a common dragstrip mod....I've seen them fold up and it isn't pretty, can hurt a lot of stuff like body panel, driveshaft, transmission if the rear gets loose.

·
Registered
535 Posts
Sorry guys, the way I fumble worded the sentence made for some confusion......i should have said "I've seen the stock perch fold up and it isn't pretty...."
The welded brace from the rear of rhe tube down to the spring perch was a means to prevent the stock reltively thin metal perch from folding up. Adding the brace plate prevents that from happening.
I've even seen the HD aftermarket "Mopar" spring perch fold if not braced the same way...saw it on a 9 second '71 Nova.

The brace isn't the cause, it is the preventative. Sorry for the confusion.

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Has anyone had any experiences (good or bad) with this type of leaf spring bushing? I am accustom to the "square-shoulder" bushing that is in full contact with the front mount hanger. Could this style be more "compliant" and allow more rearend movement?

·
Registered
1970 2-Door Barn Find
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Final Post: Success! The rear suspension is back together and we just to it out on a test drive. The "Rear Steer" gremlins seem to have been banished.

There were several questionable areas but I attribute the majority of the improvement to 1) revising (and strengthening) the monoleaf spring perches to handle multileaf springs, 2) replacing the shock plates with ones made for multileaf springs and 3) replacing the strange front eye bushings with the more conventional "square-shoulder" variety. Happy guy...

Mike

·
Registered
2,913 Posts
I’ve never seen those bushings before. I’ve only ever seen and installed bushings with the square shoulders.

Glad you got it worked out..!

41 - 48 of 48 Posts