Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ive always wondered what dose the chamber numbers mean? like 2 chamber 3 and such also what dose like 3" mean when someone says 3" 2 chamber? how do i know what to get when getting mufflers? help me out guys

·
Registered
930 Posts
alot of mufflers like magnaflow of dynomax are straight through, meaning you can look through and see to the other side. They have fiberglass packing around the tube on the inside the muffles the noise.

Then you have the chambered mufflers like flowmasters which have no packing but rather numerous baffles to help control the sound. The more chambers the more baffles. Which also means more chambers = quieter. Since there is no packing material and only metal you get that tiney sound.

as far as your question about size, like a 3" flowmaster. That just refers to the inlet and outlet pipe size. Usually mild cars will stick with dual 2 1/4" or 2 1/2" exhaust. The higher performance small blocks and big blocks usually like 3" and bigger. The bigger the pipe also means the louder it will get!

·
Premium Member
2,333 Posts
3" means the muffler has 3 inch diameter inlet and outlet pipes. The chambers have something to do with how many baffles and gas directors are welded inside the muffler. The more chambers, the more deep/quiet the sound. One chambers are LOUD race mufflers while 3 chambers are more streetable. Not all mufflers have chambers though. Flowmasters are chambered mufflers. They are just a metal muffler case with several metal baffles inside. Other mufflers use steel or fiberglass packing to deaden the sound and they aren't chambered, such as the Dynomax Ultra Flow. There's tons of different designs out there. Most muffler brands have cut away pictures on their website showing the inside of the muffler.

Flowmaster 50 series 3-chamber:

Dynomax Ultra Flow

·
Premium Member
41 Posts
Not to hijack the thread but...

What kind of off set would I need to run on my 74 2 door? straight through? or inlet left outlet right?

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
What kind of off set would I need to run on my 74 2 door? straight through? or inlet left outlet right?
how loud do you want it? if you like it like just about every car out there with flowmasters then flowmasters it is.

It should be noted to that the tone and loudness will change with running tailpipes or not.

·
Registered
670 Posts
turndowns are gonna be loud inside and outside of the car. tailpipes will quiet it down. if you want loud outside go flowmaster, they are usually still pretty loud inside. i'm running dynomax ultraflo ovals, not loud inside, and a nice semi-loud mellow rumble outside. sounds more like old school exhaust. i love the sound of flowmaster 40s, but after about a week of driving, your ears bleed when you drive, and you are slightly deaf upon exiting the car.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
ya i have no clue what to get when i have them make my set up, chambers and all :confused:
A 2 chamber flowmaster is the usual muffler guys put on. The 40's are supposed to be like the old school mufflers when flowmaster first came out.
next time your out at the car shows or the drag strip pay attention to the cars and the way they sound. If you like a particular one find the owner and ask him what he's running.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
A 2 chamber flowmaster is the usual muffler guys put on. The 40's are supposed to be like the old school mufflers when flowmaster first came out.
next time your out at the car shows or the drag strip pay attention to the cars and the way they sound. If you like a particular one find the owner and ask him what he's running.
my buddy has a 2 chamber and is was pretty sweet sounding i know if it was a one chamber god it would be to loud :yes:..as for outlet what dose that mean? how do i know what to get

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
my buddy has a 2 chamber and is was pretty sweet sounding i know if it was a one chamber god it would be to loud :yes:..as for outlet what dose that mean? how do i know what to get
basically you're gonna want offset inlet, center outlet. That way the exhaust shop can put the muffler pipes close to the driveshaft so they tuck up better. check out http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_super.html

my suggestion is to use PN#952946 all the sound but not inside the car. I also like the fact they are black instead of silver like they used to be.

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
basically you're gonna want offset inlet, center outlet. That way the exhaust shop can put the muffler pipes close to the driveshaft so they tuck up better. check out http://www.flowmastermufflers.com/40_super.html

my suggestion is to use PN#952946 all the sound but not inside the car. I also like the fact they are black instead of silver like they used to be.
i thought super 40's was more of a big block muffler thats what some one here told me

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
with you're new headers and new pipe, your new mufflers you should really like it and should sound pretty good. Are you going with super choppy cam too?

·
Registered
11,904 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
with you're new headers and new pipe, your new mufflers you should really like it and should sound pretty good. Are you going with super choppy cam too?
ya getting a whole new set up new headers x pipes and mufflers. as for the cam ill see how much money ill have left over and im gonna sell some stuff here on sns as well to see how much i can get ill have enough for a cam its just that i need new valve springs unless theres a cam that will let me keep stock springs but not sure of any

1 - 18 of 18 Posts