Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm trying to finish installing my MSD 6AL box. The last wire i have is the red wire that connects to a wire from the ignition key on. Would that be the same purple wire that i hooked up to my starter relay? I'm having trouble figuring what to connect this to. Thanks for any help.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
No that goes to a source that's hot in crank and run position on your ignition switch.

I don't know much about third gen wiring; if they use a resistor wire or not for the coil, but typically you can use the same wire that supplies 12v to the coil to also be the turn on source for the MSD Box... the smaller red wire on the box.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No resistor to the coil on my setup. The power to the coil seems to come from the MSD Box. Anyone have a clue as to what color/source of wire for the small red on the MSD??

·
Super Moderator
9,776 Posts
You can use the wire that *used* to go to the + terminal of the coil to power the small red wire on the MSD box. It's just used for the on/off sense, so you can just connect it to the resistor wire if that's what it was.

In a nutshell:

Big black wire - good ground
Big red wire - +12 (better through a big fuse, but otherwise direct connection)
black and orange wires - coil
little red wire - wire that used to go to coil +
(can't remember what color) - wire that used to go from points to coil -

Remove the wire that was there from the starter to the coil if there was one.

Remove any ballast resistor if there is one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts