Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I remember reading about people having trouble with the advance weights, pickups and rotors in MSD distributors being badly corroded in fairly new distributors. It seems like someone complained and they replaced the bad parts or the distributor for free. I pulled mine out yesterday and it looks like a 30 year old distributor not 3 year old one. It seems like Big Al had this problem, although I can't find a thread on it.
Does anyone remember this?

·
Premium Member
2,614 Posts
I remember reading about people having trouble with the advance weights, pickups and rotors in MSD distributors being badly corroded in fairly new distributors. It seems like someone complained and they replaced the bad parts or the distributor for free. I pulled mine out yesterday and it looks like a 30 year old distributor not 3 year old one. It seems like Big Al had this problem, although I can't find a thread on it.
Does anyone remember this?
http://www.msdignition.com/forum/search.php?searchid=279351

Check out the link, common problem for sure. I've got a Pro Billet and will look at trying to prevent rust/corrosion from taking over...shouldn't happen on a high dollar distributor if ya ask me.

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my msd... I had the small diameter dist and it looked like it was a hundred years old after one year. I now run a FAST small diameter dual sync dist and it looks brand new after one full year :yes:
Better hurry up and get if fixed before driving that thing out to the nats :D
Tg

·
Premium Member
8,061 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thats one of the reasons I got rid of my msd... I had the small diameter dist and it looked like it was a hundred years old after one year. I now run a FAST small diameter dual sync dist and it looks brand new after one full year :yes:
Better hurry up and get if fixed before driving that thing out to the nats :D
Tg
I have to figure out why I don't have oil pressure before I drive it at all! :(

·
Premium Member
15,966 Posts
Do like I did, call MSD, raise hell!

They will give you a authorization number to send the distributor back for rebuild.FOC

It took hell raising to get it done.

I am personally done with them. my next Dist will be a a Mallory.

Al

·
Premium Member
2,997 Posts
By the way... before I switched to sequencial injection I ran a Mallory dist setup for fuel injection. Ran it for 4 years with NO problems. Looked like new when I sold it.
Tg

·
Registered
112 Posts
see now you guys got me worried about even looking for a msd distributor, and here i thought they were king and now people on here are talking about their internals corroding quickly, geez, what's next, someone's edelbrock air gap intake breaking down on the inside sending particles of aluminum into your cylinder walls and [email protected]

·
Premium Member
1,925 Posts
I believe Galvanic is the result of dissimilar metals reacting to each other.
It also happens on Boats, that why the outdrives often have the sacrifical annode (or is it cathode) attached on the outdrive. On my car, the chrome thermostat housing corroded through after about 4 years. May have been the same thing. Not really sure though. Someone here may have a better explanation. If there is any connection to Galvanic, replacing the distributor alone may not solve the problem.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts