Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see on the site where guys move the rear back 1" to gain clearance for taller tires at the front of wheel opening.

Two questions; When doing this and using Caltracs does the "preload tube", (the tube that goes from the rear to the rocker) have enough adjustment to make up this 1" and not suffer any consequences ?

Question #2; I'm using Calvert split monos, does moving the rear backward affect how well the springs work ?

You've actually moved the C/L of rotation (rearend) back 1" on the springs, right?

OK, thats three questions, educate me guys.

The car; 3400# '64 wagon, 406, th350

·
Vendor
7,085 Posts
Call Calvert.I think the sell a spring with the pin located 1 inch back from stock so it should work fine.My rear is moved back 1/2 inch and when I ordered my Caltrac years ago they made then slightly longer to accommodate my modification

·
Registered
309 Posts
In answer to both of your questions, neither matter if you move the whole spring back the one inch by using the front mounting hole to do so and most car can handle this by the movement of the rear shackle.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Call Calvert.I think the sell a spring with the pin located 1 inch back from stock so it should work fine.My rear is moved back 1/2 inch and when I ordered my Caltrac years ago they made then slightly longer to accommodate my modification
You can also drill your own hole where you want it. Done it many times and wont hurt a thing.

Jim

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Moving rear back 1"

Jim W, when you say "drill your own hole" you do mean through the perch?
I will eventually be buying a 9" rear and will be fabbing up my own stuff, I was going to drill the hole in the perch 1" forward for the locating dowel thereby moving the rear backwards.

Thanks for the help guys, K.Lee

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Moving rear 1"

Forgot to say, I already have the split monos with the dowel in the stock location. Kinda got ahead of myself when ordering them.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Jim W, when you say "drill your own hole" you do mean through the perch?
I will eventually be buying a 9" rear and will be fabbing up my own stuff, I was going to drill the hole in the perch 1" forward for the locating dowel thereby moving the rear backwards.

Thanks for the help guys, K.Lee

You can drill the perch but what I was saying is you can drill the springs.

Jim

·
Premium Member
248 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Update

I called Caltracs and ran this by them.
They said that moving the rear back by redrilling the perches shouldn't affect the spring any.:)
As far as the "adj. tube", they said there should be enough adjustment to make up the 1". If not they have tubes to fit.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts