Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Sorry for yet another post on this topic. Having some rubbing issues with the wheels i am running on the front. Theyre American Racing torq thrust II’s in 15x7. The stock front suspension does not love them and I get some fender rubbing on the passenger side fender but have plenty of clearance on the driver side. I have no clue what the current state of the alignment is and I had to do a LOT of work to the car last year and had to store it without the alignment being done. I know it’s not the right way but hoping to get away with running some negative castor to get the clearance I need and get it through another season this year. I have a feeling a subframe or at least control arm set up will be needed to get things where they need to be. Hell or high water i am running these wheels ? which kits will reposition the front wheels back further in the opening?

·
Premium Member
38 Posts
Sorry for yet another post on this topic. Having some rubbing issues with the wheels i am running on the front. Theyre American Racing torq thrust II’s in 15x7. The stock front suspension does not love them and I get some fender rubbing on the passenger side fender but have plenty of clearance on the driver side. I have no clue what the current state of the alignment is and I had to do a LOT of work to the car last year and had to store it without the alignment being done. I know it’s not the right way but hoping to get away with running some negative castor to get the clearance I need and get it through another season this year. I have a feeling a subframe or at least control arm set up will be needed to get things where they need to be. Hell or high water i am running these wheels ? which kits will reposition the front wheels back further in the opening?
I believe the CBR uppers and lowers will help you out. They state that if frees up room for bigger tires. check out CBR.com
Trevin

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
15x7 Torque Thrust wheels don't have enough backspace at 4”.. 4.5-4.75” of backspacing is where you need to be.. If you have disc brakes and they are not a “Zero Offset” kit the wheels get pushed even further outboard up to 5/8”. You stated that only one side is rubbing the fender. You can try the shim the fender out at the lower brace add some washers to the mounting point on the frame. What size tires are you running?

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
15x7 Torque Thrust wheels don't have enough backspace at 4”.. 4.5-4.75” of backspacing is where you need to be.. If you have disc brakes and they are not a “Zero Offset” kit the wheels get pushed even further outboard up to 5/8”. You stated that only one side is rubbing the fender. You can try the shim the fender out at the lower brace add some washers to the mounting point on the frame. What size tires are you running?
Running 205/65's up front. The problem when I ran my measurements when checking to see if they'd fit was I checked everything on the driver's side. Never would've thought it would rub so hard on the passenger side and clear entirely on other.

·
6,458 Posts
Your tire selection isn't helping things. They are 25.5" diameter and 8.2" tread width. Switching to 205 50 15 will give you more clearance. Their dimension is 23.1" diameter and 6.9" tread width. You will gain 1.4" radius and .65" on the side. Not sure if this is enough for you considering the back spacing and possible brake combination.

·
Registered
2,939 Posts
This is a 205/55/15 on a 15x7 GM rally with 4.25” backspace.. No rubbing.. My car is lowered about 2” and has drum brakes all around. I have CPP Mini subframe kit with the upper A-arms.. This kit does NOT reposition the wheel location but it does stabilize the lower control arms and eliminates the goofy stock strut rod geometry.. I installed the kit in June of 2016. Easy to install and no problems with the kit since the install.. I’ve done my own alignments..

Attachments

1 - 7 of 7 Posts