Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Car had factory a/c and heat but previous owner removed both. I installed the fiberglass a/c delete panel to hook the heater back up. Everything works but need to mount the resistor and relay somewhere.

The relay I can just mount to the outside of the fiberglass heater box or I might solder linger wires to tuck it into the fender below the blower motor.

The resistor is a different story. Looks like I should cut a hole in the heater box and insert it like the factory a/c box but it would be deep enough to almost touch the firewall.

Has anyone else done this or have recommendations?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Ended up cutting a hole in the top of the a/c delete box and installing it there. Doesn’t fit perfect but it works. I also cut the factory harness to relocated the relay in the fender. Properly soldered in new wire of matching size and heat shrunk the wires. Cleaned it all up with some wire loom.

·
6,266 Posts
I also cut the factory harness to relocated the relay in the fender. Properly soldered in new wire of matching size and heat shrunk the wires. Cleaned it all up with some wire loom.

Just a heads up, but maybe think about rotating the relay to where the terminals are on the bottom. How it is now water could collect in the stamped tin lid and then short or rot things out in the relay.

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just a heads up, but maybe think about rotating the relay to where the terminals are on the bottom. How it is now water could collect in the stamped tin lid and then short or rot things out in the relay.

Jim

Fair point. I don’t plan to drive much in the rain but will flip it next time I have the wheel liner loose.

·
6,266 Posts
Fair point. I don’t plan to drive much in the rain but will flip it next time I have the wheel liner loose.
Yep it was just something I noticed. I've seen upside down relays before under the hoods of vehicles and sometimes you might never have issues BUT you never know.

If you are running inner wheel housings, can you easily get to the relay with it in place ?. I know the older I get the easier I like to be able to get at things.

Jim

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yep it was just something I noticed. I've seen upside down relays before under the hoods of vehicles and sometimes you might never have issues BUT you never know.

If you are running inner wheel housings, can you easily get to the relay with it in place ?. I know the older I get the easier I like to be able to get at things.

Jim

I’m running inner fenders and the likely hood of water getting splashed on it is low. It would have to be water running down from the cowl. It’s not easily accessible but loosening the inner fender isn’t that hard. Need to put in a missing fender bolt and nit that was missing anyways.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts