Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I always knew that these were on the underside of my car near the gas tank and suspect that they are for something that has to do with the factory suspension. Maybe some factory suspension upgrade back in the 70's.
But I would like to know for sure. My question is what are these and what were they used for?

I would like to maybe use them to stiffen up my rear torque arm suspension by maybe adding in bracing so that I can tie in the body as well as the frame to my torque arm subframe. Here's a couple pics to show the brackets I'm referring to.

·
Registered
716 Posts
I believe Redrider66SS is correct. IIRC, I think the photo is the attachment point for a bracket that was used to mount the transverse muffler. I have the same thing in my 74 Nova (but I no longer have a transverse muffler... currently running true duels).

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank you for the replies. The idea that it may be a muffler mount bracket makes the most sense but my frame also had the muffler mounts which the Camaros also used for their tail pipes. I will have to look up info on the transverse muffler just to see how it would utilize those mounts. At this point its mainly for curiosity.
It definately looks like you have an aftermarket rear end there. You sure those aren't where the original shocks mounted?
I have a Torque arm suspension setup that I installed. My shocks were originally mounted in the stock location which was on the outside of the rear frame in the rear wheel wells.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts