Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Any tips on buying and mounting a radiator for a 64Chevy II with a 350 motor and AT?
thanks
Tom

·
Registered
1,150 Posts
ive mounted a rad from a 70 nova (bought it new from a rad warehouse for $200) in my 63, i welded a piece of chanel (could also bolt it on) on the bottom of the rad support and up top i bolted though the rad and rad support w some spacers, its a pretty good fit. it has the tranny cooler lines but i plugged them up bc i have a seperate cooler. ive used this set up w a 194 six and a 350 and never had any cooling problems, gauge hardly ever moves once its warmed up......

·
6,404 Posts
I'd recommend a shroud in your install. A mechanical fan with a proper fitting shroud is a good bet. Our sponser(NNN) and others(Chevy 2 Only) have a shourd that can be made to work. The only electric fan with shroud that I know cools well is the F*rd Taurus or Lincoln fan. It may be a little tough to fit though(short water pump) and it needs a good electrical system feeding it. There may be other combos that work but these systems once installed will cool the engine.

·
Premium Member
1,536 Posts
Tom,
A Summit 380325 rad worked well to keep my mild 350 cool, and that was without a shroud and about 2" between the fan and radiator core. The rad can be bought for $170, although you will have to run an external tranny cooler as there is not one built into the rad.

I installed a Taurus electric fan this past winter and it works well, although I did have to swap out my long water pump for a short one as mentioned by Shane.

I can provide you with some pictures of the install of either or both if interested. Email me at [email protected]

Hope this helps

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
radiator

thanks for the great advice.
Tom

·
Premium Member
649 Posts
63AKDN said:
Tom,
A Summit 380325 rad worked well to keep my mild 350 cool, and that was without a shroud and about 2" between the fan and radiator core. The rad can be bought for $170, although you will have to run an external tranny cooler as there is not one built into the rad.

I installed a Taurus electric fan this past winter and it works well, although I did have to swap out my long water pump for a short one as mentioned by Shane.

I can provide you with some pictures of the install of either or both if interested. Email me at [email protected]

Hope this helps
Paul, I sent an email to the address that you listed above, but it comes back saying that it is a wrong address. I have some questions on the radiator install in your 63. Thanks

Tony
[email protected]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts