Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey, i have a 63 chev 2 with a 194 cid. i can rebuild or swap the motor to a v8. anyone know what motor is the best bet for bolting up with out major hassle and do i need to change the transmission or any other parts. any help would be awesome thanks

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
The trans will bolt up to a SBC and your flywheel will bolt if the SBC is a 2 piece seal. You could also consider getting a 230 or 250 block.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
so i can keep my original power glide trans...? and drop in a 230 or 250. i could rebuild my 194 althow im concidering a 8 cilinder .. i have heard some small 8 will bolt right in

·
Registered
491 Posts
swap

Just a friendly suggestion. 1st off, you will need a lot of cash. If you don't know what you're doing, you will need help. The distributor will hit the fire wall. I in-dented mine before paint and it clears fine. You will need a decent radiator set-up. Pullys and water pump are trial and error unless you can find a donor engine. A carb to power it. Throttle linkage and accelerator arm at the fire wall. new wiring harness...and the list goes on. Lots of help in here. Just ask and more than likely you will get a quick answer.

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
the simple no hassle way would be to find a 250 and just stick it back in.

If you want a V8 any Gen 1 small block(262-400) will fit but you need all the components for a V8 swap.

Do a search I thought somebody had a complete V8 conversion kit for sale.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
I just pulled my 230 and found it's not too bad going with the V8...I'm cleaning the engine compartment now...The motor mounts were not very costly...I bought Heddman Hedders 68160...just the painted ones..for about $170...give or take...Had to get the adaptor for the pivot ball because of the manual tranny...Waiting for a new gear ring for the 153 tooth flywheel...If you have an automatic you'll be in good shape...I have the three speed manual on the floor..so I'm leaving the trans in...Bellhousing also...It's wired up for right now so I can get the cleaning done...You know good house keeping...put plastic down and start in...It's my first time build so I'm still learning....

By rroxon7, shot with FinePix J10 at 2009-03-16

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
so i can keep my original power glide trans...? and drop in a 230 or 250. i could rebuild my 194 althow im concidering a 8 cilinder .. i have heard some small 8 will bolt right in
Yes, a small V8 was in installed from the factory. A 250 block with your 194 head will be the easiest route and give your car some new found zip. You could even add a small cam and a 4 bbl carb.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
If you are looking to keep a 6 cylinder then I would go with the 250. Doesn't have some of the issues that the other motors have, and more cubes. The swap to a V-8 is not that complicated, and if you are looking at rebuild costs, you can rebuild a small block for less than what you can build a 6-cylinder. Plus if you are looking at aftermarket performance parts, they are readily available, and cheaper as well.

·
Registered
332 Posts
My HEI never hit the firewall at all only had to get mounts and a moroso pan and pickup. Im running heddman elite series headers ( Which they say are direct bolt in. They hit everything!) I made my throttle linkage and run a long pump and single pulleys. Dont hit works fine. Take your time mine fit great. Im running a 406 RPM Airgap a 750 edelbrock with a 4" K&N extreme filters system fits under the stock hood. Click on my cardomain page link and you can see it

1 - 9 of 9 Posts