Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,035 Posts
I don't know for sure, but if I still had my Chevelle, I think I would have finally made the move from Rotella oil. I had used it for many years without issue, but with all the changes being made to it I was seriously considering going to a racing oil. My last engine made almost 1000hp on the synthetic 5W/40.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
I stopped trying to keep track of what's safe, what isn't, and which store stopped stocking what.
I just run Mobil 1 synthetic and zinc additives, now. ...Rislone, I think, is the one a few guys talked me into a few years back. So, of course, I can't get that locally any more, either*. But it's cheaper to have a couple small bottles of that shipped to me once a year, than gallons of whatever oil is supposed to still be usable, every few months.

*I know WalMart carries it. But, I don't do WalMart. I don't care if they have something I can't find anywhere else, and/or it's the cheapest option around. I don't do business with WalMart. (Personal reasons and politics -- and I'll leave it at that.)

·
Registered
878 Posts
I think many of us have used diesel motor oil over the years.....Rotella, Delo, Lucas Magnum and the like and not had any real issues.
The thing about oils formulated for diesel engines is the additive packages are really designed to counteract diesel issues like sulfur, soot and diesel fuel dilution.

I was told that oil's PSI strength is what you really need to focus on, specifically, 100,000 PSI and above.
To get PSI strength in this range you don't need to buy black bottle Valvoline, Brad Penn, Joe Gibbs or any other of that $8+ a qt stuff.
You can buy Mobile 1 (like Squigie said) or conventional Chevron Supreme at Costco and exceed 100,000 PSI.
I don't know if either contains ZDDP but you can always add it as an additive.

·
Registered
798 Posts
This article has some interesting oil testing data from what appears to be a guy with some cred.It's about as long as "War and Peace" but eventually gets to the nitty gritty with tons of brand names,zinc count,etc and has current info for most of it.I read it all and like most internet stuff you need to keep the BS detector on "high" but I found this article credible and interesting.I still use Pennzoil conventional and add some zinc for my one engine with solid flats.

https://540ratblog.wordpress.com/2013/06/20/motor-oil-wear-test-ranking/

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
here's a cut from some info that was sent to me last year when i asked about oil.
10W30 Valvoline VR1 Conventional Racing Oil (silver bottle) = 103,505 psi
zinc = 1472 ppm
phos = 1544 ppm
ZDDP = 1500 ppm

You do not need to add anything to the oil.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts