Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 78 custom that by the VIN says it was an original inline 6 car. I purchased it with a 350 already in it. The motor seems to be sitting uneven and was advised that new motor mounts could fix the problem. Could this also be from the holes being drilled uneven when installing the aftermarket 350 mounts? Someone also told me the mounts were the same as the inline 6. So now I'm confused. Can anyone give me advice on this issue and/or point me in the right mounts?

·
Registered
1963 Nova w/ Pontiac OHC6
211 Posts
The mounts themselves are the same, the difference is going to be on the frame side of the mount.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
785 Posts
4th gen Nova’s had a 350 option. I imagine you could go to any parts store and buy them? A Clymer or Hayes manual will have detailed instructions on how to change them. I did a quick search and found the results from summit and SS396 were describing 78’ 5.7 liter motor mounts but when I clicked on them, they took me to 68-74 v8 mounts. They may be the same? No hits on any forums about it though. Odd. Wish I could be more help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
4th gen Nova’s had a 350 option. I imagine you could go to any parts store and buy them? A Clymer or Hayes manual will have detailed instructions on how to change them. I did a quick search and found the results from summit and SS396 were describing 78’ 5.7 liter motor mounts but when I clicked on them, they took me to 68-74 v8 mounts. They may be the same? No hits on any forums about it though. Odd. Wish I could be more help.

Thank you. I guess my main concern would the mounts on the frame and motor be any different with it originally being an inline 6 car. Or could I just order 350 mounts for both frame and motor side and it work.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
785 Posts
Thank you. I guess my main concern would the mounts on the frame and motor be any different with it originally being an inline 6 car. Or could I just order 350 mounts for both frame and motor side and it work.
I would be surprised if the frame for a 6 cylinder car was different than an 8 cylinder car but that doesn’t mean they weren’t. You mentioned drilled holes? Do you think some holes were drilled? Post some pictures if you have them, you mentioned the engine looked crooked?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Yea, my buddy who helping me seems to think that holes drilled for the 350 were drilled when it was installed. But I would have thought that all the frames me the same and would either share the same holes or at the least all drilled first both setups while on the assembly line. That's why I am reaching out. I know folks convert 6cyl to 8 cyl all.the time.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
785 Posts
Here you go...

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thank you. I read through that whole post. If I understood my correctly if I just buy the correct mounts for sbc 350 for the motor and frame side it should work as they used the same mounting holes on the frame.

·
Registered
1974 Nova SS
785 Posts
Thank you. I read through that whole post. If I understood my correctly if I just buy the correct mounts for sbc 350 for the motor and frame side it should work as they used the same mounting holes on the frame.
I believe that’s correct. If I understood the info from that post, the frame mounts for the 6 are the same as the frame mounts for the 8. The engine mount on one side of the engine is different on the 6. I would verify that your frame mounts are correct if someone else did the swap. If the engine is in the car, post a pic of the mounts for each side. Lots of guys in here will be able to tell you right away if you have the correct parts in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.