Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Looking to replace my motor mounts in my 74 Nova. Would like to ask for any guidelines,tips or tricks on the most painless method of accomplishing this task. Oh and approximate time frame to complete this task.
Thanks All for your input.

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,497 Posts
When I replaced mine, I already had the motor out of the engine bay.
Stock 74 Nova motor mounts are the clam shell design. If you are going to reuse the clam shells, take several photos of how they are oriented when installed on the subframe crossmember before you remove them. You may need to refer to these photos when it come time for re-installation.

Once you remove each clam shell, be sure to correctly mark each piece of the shell with it's correct orientation (driver's side top, driver's side bottom, passenger's side top, etc). You will need to drill the rivets out of the clam shells to remove the original inserts. I replaced the stock inserts with polyurethane ones. After you replace the inserts, put the clam shell in a vise to close the clam shell halves together and hold with zip strip. Note: The zip strip can be removed once the clam shells are installed on the cross member.

I remember that some of the motor mount nuts are tricky to get to. It may be helpful to have some assistance when reinstalling the motor mounts (someone up top tightening the bolts while someone else is underneath the car holding the nuts with a wrench... but it is doable with one person). Due to the location of some of the mounting hardware, you may need to tape some of the nuts to a wrench to hold them in place during installation.

For more details, see the link below.
https://www.energysuspensionparts.com/installation_instructions/energy_suspension/17250.pdf

1 - 2 of 2 Posts