Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i dropped in my engine and trans today , i have the gm muscle car pan ( not knowing any better) even with the motor sitting on the oil pan the motor mounts are about 1/2 to 3/4 away from where they should be, i found a good deal on an f-body oil pan will this work on my 72? that gm pan hangs 3" below the cross member. jegs is getting that thing back, soon..:mad:

·
Registered
61 Posts
F-body pan has to be notched for the steering link. I used the Holley ls pan, which is a very nice pan. Autokraft, Moroso, and Champion make their own ls oil pans as well.

What mounts are you using?

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
Do you have to part numbers for the mounts? Also on the energy plates are you using both peices, the plate/mount that comes together?

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do you have to part numbers for the mounts? Also on the energy plates are you using both peices, the plate/mount that comes together?
the part number for the mounts is 3-1114-g and yes i have the pre load plate on there too, i believe this oil pan will not work unless i shim up the motor mounts , even then this thing hangs way below the cross member , this gm pan is a no go for this , i don't see this working for a chevelle ,or any other car the sump is too long, not to mention the front of the pan . sounds like the general goofed on this one, wonder how many have been sold and not used... i guess i need to locate a diff pan.. here we go with the buying of the wrong parts. i guess i didn't do enough research.:confused:

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Look at the Holley pan. It even has the correct bolts to bolt the trans to the pan. The sump is set back farther than the Camaro pan, so it should clear just fine....used one on my brother's Chevelle, no problem...very nice piece for the money.

T,
Thanks Tom. Ya know I was checking out a thread I think it was on LS1tech , but someone that had a 3rd gen was saying they were having problems and had to shim the mounts a little. Has anyone here used the Holley pan on a 3rd gen?

Sent from my iPhone using AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
61 Posts
Thanks Tom. Ya know I was checking out a thread I think it was on LS1tech , but someone that had a 3rd gen was saying they were having problems and had to shim the mounts a little. Has anyone here used the Holley pan on a 3rd gen?

Yup.

I used Dirty Dingo ls mounts, short and wide rubber motor mounts. We had to shim the motor up a little to clear the crossmember, which wasn't a big deal. If I could do this again, I would use tall and narrow frame mounts. The taller mounts might solve this problem. Otherwise, pan is great

·
Registered
1,011 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone use this stock LH8 pan from Gm. I was thinking of getting it from current performance.
http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html
I belive that's tge same pan I have looks like the same part number. Don't buy it unless you want your oil pan hanging real low. The only way you could use it would be to fab new stands to bring it up 3 ". If ya want mine I'll sell it to ya cheaper than a new one. Pm me if interested.

·
Registered
670 Posts
Anyone use this stock LH8 pan from Gm. I was thinking of getting it from current performance.
http://www.currentperformance.com/Swap_Parts/parts.html
Go to the Midway chevy i got mine for like 120 with the pickup and dipstick. It does hang a bit low. i have hit it a couple times on things. Dont drive like a madman and you will be fine.

But the new Holley pan is what i would have gone with if it was avail at the time.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I have the holley pan on mine. Im using the dingo slider mounts with factory short/wide frame stands. Pan was tight to the crossmember so I had to clearance the frame a bit. Otherwise it fits great. I started off with Carshop plates and they wouldnt line up with my frame stands. I love the sliders. Fit perfectly, allowed me to put the engine wherever I wanted to and makes pulling the engine simple by being able to slide it forward and away from the bellhousing.

Not sure what accessories you plan on running, but I wouldnt shim the mounts up too far if you are using the truck accessories. The alternator is close to the hood

·
Registered
711 Posts
Go to the Midway chevy i got mine for like 120 with the pickup and dipstick. It does hang a bit low. i have hit it a couple times on things. Dont drive like a madman and you will be fine.

But the new Holley pan is what i would have gone with if it was avail at the time.
After looking at the measurements for the pans the stock GM pan wont work. My car is sitting way to low now. I will more than likely go with the autokraft, or Holley,

·
Registered
670 Posts
Ive got the Muscle car pan and truck accy and everyone says it wont work. But 30k miles in this past year says it does.

I have had a couple scares. My front end is low. but i have a very good sway bar and big block springs so my front really doesnt squat at all.

But the plan is to go with the TBSS pan with the AWD.

·
Registered
1,002 Posts
I like the dingo slider mounts. I will use those next time I do a swap... They were not around when did mine or just didnt here about them...

·
Registered
61 Posts
thanks , i know ive looked at that thread about 1000xs this morning. from all the research it seems autokraft is the only pan that will fit and still retain the stock location for the oil filter. at least without fabrication work to mounts or other part, or shimming...

I went with the Carshop Standard Location plates and short and wide mounts, everything ligned up perfect. I also went with the Mast oil pan, its only about $20 more than the Holley. Everything fit perfect, no shims, spacers or anything like that. This is just mock up 100_1107.jpg

100_1238.jpg

100_1240.jpg

1 - 20 of 22 Posts