Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, I decided to buy new motor mounts since my engine was sitting low. Well, I removed the single bolt that attaches the engine mounts to the frame mounts and started to jack it up a bit. I can get to the upper two mount bolts but I can't access the lower one. These mounts have a metal angle that is inhibiting the ratchet or wrench. I can't lift too high as the tranny dipstick is against the firewall. The dizzy hasn't touched yet so.....anyway, I need a hint here please.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I am fixing to have to do the same. I am pulling headers, fan, carb, etc.. Raising engine and bringing(engine and tranny) forward an inch or two and reassembling.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I think we discussed these mounts before and you have a 72. I would just get the right engine mounts for your frame stands and forget about the year.

I ended up with wrong mounts because I bought most all my parts before I even had a 3rd Gen which is what I was going to purchase. I bought my mounts for a 71 and had assumed that 68-72 would share the exact same mounts for all small blocks. Wrong - Apparently like I mentioned in earlier thread is that 68-71 small block use the short wide mount, 72 w/307 uses short wide, and 72 w/350 uses tall narrow which is what my 72 uses and it was an all factory original car.

Anyways I would just return your engine mounts for the other ones that you need.

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
What would be wrong with ordering new frame mounts? Seems easier to me
Your choice, easier to me is you already have the frame mounts on your car, just replace the engine mounts. Why pay for some frame mounts and then have to remove and replace them if you don't have to? Your car, just my two cents. :yes:

·
Registered
20,113 Posts
I remember something about your fan being close to the shroud on the bottom? I was thinking maybe the new mounts(if the old ones were really old) would actually lift yours up a little. I guess you have nothing to loose but a little money as you are already there. Either way they used same radiators and shrouds for either engine mount I want to say so can't see that being much of an issue.

Were you able to just lift engine and push to one side gently and get the mounts off?
I am going to leave my headers on and just lift it and see if I can get them like that at first. I know the one bottom bolt in the engine mount is the pain in the arse.

·
Registered
598 Posts
Replacing those frame mounts is not fun, especially without a lift. The bolts are not easily accessed and you'll find that you have to come up with just the right combination of extensions and swivels to get the nuts on. No cheating either, make sure you put flats and lockwahers on them.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I agree, replace those frame mounts and get it right, :yes:
you'll be much better off in the long run! :rolleyes: The right tool for the right job.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was able to leave the headers on and get the one off.....raised the engine enough to clear the frame mount, remove the two upper bolts and since the moron before me used too long of bolts, the mount swiveled on the bottom giving me clearance.....not sure if I would have been able to otherwise....pass side being a bitch!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts