Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the wagon seems to run pretty good but has a random intermitent miss like a chug or flat spot while idling. I installed new plugs, cap, rotor, points and condenser. I didn't change the spark plug wires.:no:the plugs are gaped at .035 and the points are gaped at .019 While running with the lights on I noticed that the headlights were hella bright so I hooked up my voltage meter at the battery and found that it was at 17.2 volts:eek: I guess I need a new voltage regulator. my question is: can the high voltage be the reason for the miss? :confused: I'm going to put a new regulator on it tomorrow and check to see if the points are burnt up.

·
Registered
94 Posts
Points huh, well did you check the dwell,could be low would sound like a miss
but realy isnt, or the high voltage may have hurt your condenser.
Been a few years since ive messed with points.
Good luck

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
like i said, its random. at some stop lights its would idle perfect then all the sudden have a little hick up and then idle perfect again. at the next stop light it will have a bunch of hick ups in a row then be fine again. it runs great at higher RPM's

·
Premium Member
3,532 Posts
the wagon seems to run pretty good but has a random intermitent miss like a chug or flat spot while idling. I installed new plugs, cap, rotor, points and condenser. I didn't change the spark plug wires.:no:the plugs are gaped at .035 and the points are gaped at .019 While running with the lights on I noticed that the headlights were hella bright so I hooked up my voltage meter at the battery and found that it was at 17.2 volts:eek: I guess I need a new voltage regulator. my question is: can the high voltage be the reason for the miss? :confused: I'm going to put a new regulator on it tomorrow and check to see if the points are burnt up.
all of my 6 cylinder cards have done this. Never hurts anything. not sure why, but I know what you're talking about.

can't explain it though, and I've never tried to trace it.

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i'm going to put the new regulator on and maybe a new set of wires just to be sure. after all they are the wires that came on the car when i bought it

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,667 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I got it and I did all the same things you did. Turned out 3 of my valves were too loose. I popped off the valve cover and properly adjusted them all and it went away. :yes:

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Mine did the same thing when I got it and I did all the same things you did. Turned out 3 of my valves were too loose. I popped off the valve cover and properly adjusted them all and it went away. :yes:
2X on what Exlimey said.
The OLDER heads need harden seats for the EXHAUST Valves. Check your Exhaust valves by placing a straight edge or level across them to see if some are higher. If so then the valve seat is shot and the valve is up higher in the head.

Bryan

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
2X on what Exlimey said.
The OLDER heads need harden seats for the EXHAUST Valves. Check your Exhaust valves by placing a straight edge or level across them to see if some are higher. If so then the valve seat is shot and the valve is up higher in the head.

Bryan
The miss is on and off. it's not constant if the valves were the issue wouldn't the problem be constant??

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I had a 67 mustang with a 200 six in it and the dist. was so worn out it wouldn't run:( well, if it is a dist. problem a Delco reman is only $50:D

·
Registered
5,669 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I fixed it!!!!! It turned out it was the air fuel mixture screw :eek: it was running too lean at idle. I turned it out til the miss went away then back in until it stumbled then back out a half turn.:yes: I'm so happy it's running good:D

·
Registered
1,400 Posts
I fixed it!!!!! It turned out it was the air fuel mixture screw :eek: it was running too lean at idle. I turned it out til the miss went away then back in until it stumbled then back out a half turn.:yes: I'm so happy it's running good:D
OK, now quit neglectin the other one. let me know when u fire that thing.... im tryin to be there...

JOHN

1 - 18 of 18 Posts