Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this was beat to death, however I'm in need of some desperate help.

Was trying to drop the 502 in the Nova this weekend. And i was having a butt load of problems.

I have big block frame mounts and I bought moroso solid motor mounts. well it would not fit, the oil pan hits the cross member.

SO i have a single motor mount, witch is taller then the ones that are saposed to be for bbc. I installed on the passenger side.

well now the damn flex plate shield get in hte way of mounting the motor.
can any of you Big BLock guys help out. what fram and motor mounts are you using?

·
Premium Member
1,598 Posts
Greetings,

If I remember rightly, the taller one was on the passenger side. When I put my 468 in, I took out the brake booster/master cylinder setup for more room and made sure the headers were off as well (tried putting it in with the headers on to no avail. The TH400 was bolted on to it and there wasn't any problems getting it in there together. It just took some time (lots of adjusting the chain lengths on the engine hoist) and when I put it in (I had the factory oil pan on it) nothing hit or anything. Of course mine is a non-air car so I didn't have the big defroster/ac box.

Jason

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My motor sits really close to the brake booster. ANd I have a small booster. I'm wondering if I have the wrong mounts (frame mounts)

some one posted a web page with all the frame mount part numbers and heights and width. can some post a link to that???

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
You mean this link:

http://www.chevynova.org/BigBock.html

The taller mount is on the driver's side. I run the Big Block frame stand with solid Moroso engine mounts. I run a stroker motor now so I had to notch the subframe for the oil pan. When I ran a 396 motor, it fit with no mods to the frame.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
NovaSS396L34 said:
You mean this link:

http://www.chevynova.org/BigBock.html

The taller mount is on the driver's side. I run the Big Block frame stand with solid Moroso engine mounts. I run a stroker motor now so I had to notch the subframe for the oil pan. When I ran a 396 motor, it fit with no mods to the frame.
I really don't want to notch my crossmember. I have a milodon pan. is there any motor mount fram mount combo that works?

I have the moroso solid engine mounts, are the poly mounts taller?

With the mounts i have right now, the engine sits really clost to the brake booster, like a 1/4 inch to 1/2 and I have the small brake booster with tall valve covers, however the passenger side seems like its short, the bolt hole (the one that connects both mounts) wont line up. it's like the whole motor needs to shift to the passenger side.
Not to mention that damn flex plate shield is causing me some problems as well.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
RallyNova said:
I am having the same issues.

I am on my 3rd set of frame mounts.

But my issues reside with the drivers side. I cannot get the exhaust to go past the power steering box.

PM me if you want more info
I ordered a few different motor mounts from moroso. On their web site you can find the mounts and their dimentions. I also actual bbc frame mounts from chevy2only. so I will let you know what combo worked this weekend.
I do not want to cut the crossmember.

BADASS70 said he used his small block frame and motor mounts and had a good 1.5 inches of clearence.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
As I am following this one closely also, I can't provide a huge help but moral support. I am getting close to that point. When I picked up my car, I couldn't figure out why the tube front and cross member delete, no idea. Now I think it was because car had a bbc stroker and it was for clearance....sooo....I am hoping my frame mounts are going to work fine with my headers. I picked up a set of bbc frame mounts just to be on the safe side when I get ready for the swap. Here is a pic. of the tube front for the crossmember support, although I know you aren't wanting to cut yours.

Stephen

·
3,876 Posts
It looks like he is running a flex fan AND an electric fan. I'm pretty sure that this is not the way to double your cooling and I would run one or the other. At certain engine speeds one fan will block the flow through the other fan and actually cause an overheating problem.

I can relate to the motor mount issue. I bought Energy Suspension mounts and you had to be real careful which one you got because of the frame mount width difference. Didn't Mr Wright have a web page with the frame mount numbers and their application? I don't have the link, but I bet it is in the links thread.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
72VenturaII said:
It looks like he is running a flex fan AND an electric fan. I'm pretty sure that this is not the way to double your cooling and I would run one or the other. At certain engine speeds one fan will block the flow through the other fan and actually cause an overheating problem.

I can relate to the motor mount issue. I bought Energy Suspension mounts and you had to be real careful which one you got because of the frame mount width difference. Didn't Mr Wright have a web page with the frame mount numbers and their application? I don't have the link, but I bet it is in the links thread.

I recall seeing a link that took you to a page that had a spread sheet on it with part numbers, years, and application data. I haven't found it yet though.

·
Premium Member
667 Posts
lol, not much gets buy you guys. Neither are actually hooked up, that was the setup for the small block when I got it and was in the process of pulling the radiator out and had wiring hanging. New motor/blower doesn't have room for a flex fan so it is a Be Cool radiator w 2/electric fans rated for 3500cfm.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts