Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Premium Member
265 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What kind of success have you guys had detailing a motor while it is in the car. I have a 67 with a 350 that needs freshening up.My exhaust manifolds would be the only challenge { getting them off} and then I could probably get it ok...i think..It is a very nice driver quality car.Any opinions on this.. I dont have the time ,place or lift to pull the motor out..

·
Registered
566 Posts
A goo-goo car wash, degreaser, then lots of hot power wash with soap.

After that, a putty knife or wire brush on anything stubborn.

laquer thinner will get off any remaining residue.

Rattle can using a piece of cardboard to mask and you can make it look nice again.

I once painted a transmission with an airbrush, and automotive paint.. looked great, but man it took a long time! A detail gun would be faster. Hell, a paint brush would have been faster.

A detail brush to get the little stuff: Bolt heads look nice with contrasting colors. Only takes a moment to do.

How crazy you wanna get? hold the spray nozzle close to the belt with it running, and you can paint the top of the belt. looks REAL trick.

·
Premium Member
4,045 Posts
It sure would be nice to see pictures of what your going to be detailing...Got any ?????

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
steam clean the engine compartment and undercarriage and then pull the engine out. Rattle can the engine compartment satin or flat black. freshen up the engine, paint it and install new freeze plugs. Bead blast the oil pan and timing cover. prime and paint, install new front seal. You'll have a bitchin looking engine and compartment. the manifolds get that cast iron paint from eastwood. All the engine pulleys and brackets paint flat black.

·
Registered
1,694 Posts
i repainted my motor in the car and what a pain in the arse that was! I'm going to do repaint it again this winter but i'm pulling the motor for sure this time, otherwise there is just so much masking to do

1 - 10 of 10 Posts