Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Was just wondering that with the 1st Generation Nova's. What is the most done Mod? Engine swap, suspension, brakes. What are some opinions?? And what do you want, I mean really want, to modify on your Nova? Maybe a wish list sort of.

Also just how important to you personally is keeping it orginal? How far are you willing to go to keep that orginallty?

Roland

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Depends on what you want to do with it, personal preferences, budget, etc. I personally want modern drivablity and reliablity, fun to drive (read fast), while keeping as much originality as possible. V8 Engine / tranny upgrade would be high on my list. Undercarriage upgrades are important for drivability and to match modern day wheels and tires. A solid brake system, even disk brakes are a safety feature that should not be overlooked if your going to drive it a lot. From there you get into cosmetics which is where I like to lean towards a stock look is best (even radio's can be made to look original and still be state of the art. Some cosmetic upgrades from one model to the next is fine by me if it makes you feel good and enjoy the car. But again, this is my perferences. :D

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
I like originality but with the comfort and drivability of modern. So my 66 has a mild worked over LS1, 4L60e trans, Currie built 9" and 4 wheel discs. I also installed a Dakota Digital dash, went with the softer green vice the blue to help offset the "hi-tech" look. As far as that I don't like shaved handles or body modifications. Interior is remaining mostly stock, stock benchs seats etc.... but is also going to get a Vintage Air A/C unit. Wheels are going to be baby moons.

·
Super Moderator
67 4 door, 65 wagon (in pieces)
6,635 Posts
I like to keep mine as stock as possible. I have replaced the Powerglide with a 2004R to get a more comfortable drive at highway speeds. Mine isn't a daily driver, I only go about 1500 miles a year, most to work once or twice a week during the summer. The fuel mileage improvement is good, but it will take a hell of a long time to get my money back out of the switch.

If my car wasn't such a low mileage survivor, I'd probably go a different direction. I just don't want to do too much to hack up her up. If she wasn't that special (to me anyway) I'd go for a V8 swap, disc brake upgrade. The exterior would always be stock though, even the dog dish hub caps.

·
Registered
809 Posts
Was just wondering that with the 1st Generation Nova's. What is the most done Mod? Engine swap, suspension, brakes. What are some opinions?? And what do you want, I mean really want, to modify on your Nova? Maybe a wish list sort of.

Also just how important to you personally is keeping it orginal? How far are you willing to go to keep that orginallty?
Ive wanted to go with a mini tub for the longest time but for the most part I dont want to cut up the car,but you only live once.My desire to have some meats under the car far outweigh my desire to keep it stock.Im thinking somewhere between a mini tub and something bigger.Id like to get a 315-35-17 on the rear.

·
Premium Member
1963 Chevy II wagon 400
11,864 Posts
Front end work & the "stance" ..........i'll keep my I6.

·
Registered
852 Posts
On my 66, I'm shooting for the pro touring/drag car look... I too want to mini tub at some point, I want a put a 315 wide tire on the back.. I slowly knocking out the rest of the list: motor/tranny swap, vintage air, front clip, 4 link,wilwoods fr/rr, coil overs fr/rr,new billet steering wheel, and new gauges. eventually the paint and body will get the same attention as the rest of the car..I dont think the list will ever end.

Len

·
Registered
61 Posts
I Love seeing original cars at the cruises. It shows what there was to offer in the 60's and they are the stepping stone for the next Generation. The main credit though is to the owners that have kept them in Awesome Condition or those that have spent countless hours and money locating parts restoring to original condition.

I personally like to resto/mod my Chevy ii's to my own Standards and add my own character to the mix of a Great car.
I am in the process of building a Convertible from basically and empty shell and adding my own ideas through the car as I go. This includes 4 wheel disc brakes,383 stroker engine,special order color interior,and exterior color of my own choice. The interior will be all original except color,the inner fenders and such will be original,trim package original,e.t.c.

Bill

·
Premium Member
4,554 Posts
Judging from what I have seen on the boards, it would have to be suspension mods...i.e. disc brakes, a-arms of some sort, steering etc,....

Engine and tranny upgrades of all sorts.....

Mini tubs, rearend swaps/gear changes, 3-4 links etc.....

IMO it's a toss up between suspension and engine upgrades, as those appear to be the most common..

T,

·
Premium Member
11,931 Posts

Roland
I would think that engine swap would be the most common mod. After that it would be brakes and suspension.

In my case it was yank everything out and and just build a corvette underneath it!:D

John

·
Premium Member
4,578 Posts
This is kinda like the "Family Feud" gameshow!! I have the #1 modification.........frame ties!! DING DING DING!!

Now as long as that crazy old gameshow host doesn't kiss my wife......

Seriously though, I think the most common pattern of mods that the average guy goes through (and like the normal guy gets carried away with) are in this order:

1. frame ties
2. front disc brakes
3. engine/tranny swap
4. minitub
5. aftermarket front clip
6. aftermarket rear suspension

·
Premium Member
2,354 Posts
Mini tubs and tire fitment. Tieing the frames together, engine swaps, just to name a few. Dave

·
Registered
288 Posts
I went the route...

Engine swap
Trans swap
Frame ties
Engine swap *
Wire harness
Trans swap *
Trans swap *
-----In process------
Front clip
Rear suspension
Disk brakes
Chop top
Tilt front end

* can you post more than once?

I guess it depends on the $ you have and your ability at the time....I have had this car since '87. Back then I was limited on budget and skill, now I am limited on time. Obviously not interested in all original at this point...in fact I have gone out of my way to make this happen.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Thanks for the reponses folks, I am somewhat surprised by the direction most of the reply's took. That was to modify to some degree.

My take on this and my reason for asking is I personally want my car to be mine. I grew up with the cars of the 50's and mostly 60's. The trends from those two decades to some degree started the car craze's. The sport or Hobby or what ever this car thing is, is based mostly on Nostalogia. It is folks trying to keep a little of the time when we were young and cars "Could" be a big part of that.

Today in a big way to young folks ---- and that probably apply's to a lot if not most of the guys an this site---- have a different take on this car thing. Nostalogia is not there prime reason for building and driving a "OLD" car.

I had an interesting conversation with Art Danchuk of Danchuk's Chevy parts. They sell parts for the tri year Chevy's, in that conversation Art told me that the number one selling part of those years Chevy's were Emblems. Man you could have blown me over with a feather at that. Back in the day when and if a young feller got a car the first thing "WE" did was to change it in some way, so not to look like a stocker. The hub caps went first, and then the Emblems went in file 13 as well. In time if you got a few bucks you filled those holes left from the emblems and if money permitted had it painted. Never did you leave one stock "LOOKING" man nobody wanted to be seen driving there fathers car. So today all of those old guys who will tell you they are building the car from there youth are not doing that. They are in fact building there Fathers Car. The one they would not have been caught dead in when they were 17 years old. Interesting the way the bubble turnes....

For me personally orginality is everything it is without a doubt the most important single aspect of this car culture thing. Trouble is I'm not really interested in Chevrolet's orginality it is my own orginality I am concerned with. I do not want stock or common in any form what so ever, but thats just me!!

When I got my little 65 Nova I had no direction for it. I thought I would drive it for awhile and let it tell me which direction to take it. It finally has had a thing or two to say.

I spent all of my youth and most of my life in the Marine Corps, so cars were almost always just beyond reach, at least cool cars. Thats not to say that I havn't had a couple of really cool cars I have, but they were usually only cool to me. A few years ago---- well maybe a lot of years ago---- I was in one of those Far Away lands doing what Marines do, camping out and such. At night in that jungle was the time for your thoughts to drift to the states and CARS, girls and just not having to spend most of your time "DUCKING". Myself and my fellow team members spent hundred's of hours talking about what car we were going to get when we got back to "
"THE WORLD". I promise you that never in a million years did I ever say NOVA back then. SS came up a lot, Hemi, 396, 4 speed but never NOVA. That was our mistake I think, while this Nova is and was not my dream car, it is a very cool car. My job now is to make it VERY COOL. Shouldn't be too hard as I am actually only trying to please myself.

I also am going to do a Engine Swap. I love big Blocks but they are done a lot and I want different. Small block's even a mind blowing small block is just out of the question for me. So I am going to build a Nova that Chevrolet only thought about and never did build. I am going to install a X Code 409 Chevy engine I have had for years and was always looking for something to install it in. Well I think the Nova is just perfect for that little 409 "W" Block engine. Will see..........

Roland

1 - 16 of 16 Posts