Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the May 2006 Chevy High Performance magazine; the story on my new rear end is in there on page 36.

·
Super Moderator
9,796 Posts
Cool article...would have been nice to see a picture of it installed on the car though. So have you broken it (in?) yet? How's it run?

Do you know if they offer these in the correct width for 1st gen?

And just what did you do to get the old one to start "making crunchy sounds"?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
And just what did you do to get the old one to start "making crunchy sounds"?
After a whole bunch of mid 1.3 60ft. times, it shucked some teeth off the ring gear. Might have been a bad gear set or not--my other set lasted many years, this set only a few months. The other problem I had was bending the axle tubes; after a while I had camber and toe-in in the rear! I had it straightened, but started to bend again after a year or so.
BTW, that rearend is for sale--the left axle tube needs to be straightened but it's all fresh otherwise--4.56 gear, spool, Moser axles and C-clip eliminators. It was originally from a 69 Camaro.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I was able to skim through the article the other day. That's cool.

I had talked to Moser about that housing and it does sound strong. I was thinking of going ahead with a braced 9" but it'd be cool to be a 12bolt still. How do you think it compares to a 9" in strength and weight? I bet it is pretty strong with those .25" tubes

John

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
How do you think it compares to a 9" in strength and weight?
I'm not sure about the strength-I'll keep my fingers crossed! Probably has 50 passes on it so far, so it's too early to tell. I believe it's lighter than a 9", but I wouldn't swear to it. I never weighed a F**D rear, don't like to soil my hands with that kinda stuff!!

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
I read a 12 vs 9 comparison not to long ago,,Super Chevy ?:confused: ,,,seems in stock form strength and weight are close but the 9" [email protected]@d looses a little in efficiency due to the low pinion placement.In "beefed up" form the 9" is lighter and stronger.

Stick with :chev: :D :D

1 - 14 of 14 Posts