Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was hoping someone could help me choose what springs I should install.I have no idea what the weight on the front end is going to be,so I was hoping someones combo is close to mine.70 with iron headed big block,turbo 400,aluminum radiator,glass hood and bumper,factory style disc brakes,manual steering,inner fenders,heater and wiper motor removed and battery in trunk.I was thinking the small block springs (1690-1750 frt end lbs)with a 240 lbs/in spring rate would be the way to go.What do you guys think?
Thanks for any help:) Billy

·
Registered
73 Posts
Go with one spring softer than the Moroso catalog calls for.
Then give them time to settle before you start cutting on them.
Chances are, you won't need to cut them at all.

I have a heavy iron head and manifold small block in a '73 and I got the lighest springs Moroso has. They worked out perfect.
Thank God I didn't cut them after I finished the job because they settled after a little time and are perfect.

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Whatever you pick remember there is sprung and unsprung weight. The disk brakes don't add weight to the springs and are unsprung weight. RM

·
Registered
218 Posts
How do front drag springs work. Are the lighter and longer. Also I take it you pair front springs up with a 90/10 shock? I want to swap my springs out this summer but i don"t know alot about em.

·
Registered
141 Posts
not to steal a thread but im also interested as i will be switching to trick springs soon. when i weigh the front end should i pick the spring in that weight bracket or go one lighter? im gonna use summit 3 way shocks also. do you go lighter because of the unsprung weight? by cutting them are you stiffening them? softening them? or just changing ride height?

thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
11,208 Posts
Moroso lists 3 springs for the SB Novas but it looks like the 62 to 67 only lists one at 1200 to 1250 lbs. The other two listed are for the 68 to 74 Novas with 1600 to 1690 and 1690 to 1750 lbs. I'd say by the way they are listed they want the total front weight and have considered the unsprung weight into the selections. So weigh the car and order accordingly would be my suggestion. I have the 1600 to 1690s in my 72 but can't swear that is the ticket since it has no motor in it yet. The springs have smaller wire and more coils with the idea that they store more energy to help lift the front under launch. You'll need a spring compressor to install them, they are taller than stock by a good amount. I plannned to use a SB with aluminium heads. The 1690 to 1750 springs would seem to be for an iron headed, iron intake motor IMHO. You could call Moroso and ask. RM

·
Registered
141 Posts
im going to weigh my car (friend has scales). do the springs drop the ride height any? the back is gonna drop cause of the split monoleafs for the caltracs so i dont want to the car to point up in the air. (only if its pullin the front wheels up :D ) ive also heard these springs are a handful on the street. any other pointers?

thanks
Ian

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
do the springs drop the ride height any? the back is gonna drop cause of the split monoleafs for the caltracs so i dont want to the car to point up in the air. (only if its pullin the front wheels up ) ive also heard these springs are a handful on the street. any other pointers?
I've had them on my car since the mid 90's; the ride height is still the same, which is about where my old stock springs were after torching the passenger side to match the sagging driver side spring.
They have thousands of street miles and it's never been an issue, even with worn out junk shocks like mine.
If I remember correctly, mine were for a small block with aluminum heads.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts