Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have weighed my 66 and the front end is like 1550 lbs. The Moroso catalog says the springs for the Chevy II are like 1200 lbs. For the guys using them, whitch ones are you using, and how are they? This is a drag race only car.
Thanks guys, Mark

·
Registered
23 Posts
I am using those springs in my 63. I haven't scaled the car but it's a stock front end with a CPP mini kit and a small block. I had to trim them to get the ride height and as far as the spring rate they really unload on the launch, almost a little too much for my taste. Be careful what you wish for!:yes:

·
Registered
509 Posts
I tried the 1200lb springs and they changed nothing compared with the original six cylinder springs. Car sixty foot exactly the same, 1.44. Dont know the front weight percentage either.:no:

·
Premium Member
205 Posts
i cut mine to get the ride height i wanted, but that basically defeats the purpose of the spring. when you install them the ride height may look funny at first but over time and usage they will settle.

·
Registered
23 Posts
when you install them the ride height may look funny at first but over time and usage they will settle.
This is a good point. Definately drive the car after installing these springs before getting out the grinder and cutting wheel. I installed these over the winter and couldn't drive the car, so I bounced the front end for 15 mins. a day over 7 days before pulling them back out to trim. I actually did this twice to get it just right. Two months later, when I took the car out for the first time I noticed after a few miles the right front rubbed hard. When I got home and measured, it had dropped another 3/4". Sorry to say I am now the proud owner of 2 sets of trick springs-one stock height, the other 1" drop!:eek:

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
I put them on mine and they work great!!! I drove around with them for about a month before I cut them to the height I wanted. The stance is what I wanted and when I unhook the sway bar they transfer the weight well.

·
Registered
275 Posts
I would recommend them to anybody! I have 2 sets actually 1 in our 72 Rally and 1 in the 72SS....the SS is a 99% all the time Drag Strip only Back half car and carries a BBC with "Stock Looking" A arms with a set of Competition Engineering 3-way adjustable front drag shocks.

I put the set they recommended in for my front end weight and have never looked back since.....mine never had to be trimmed for ride height because they were nearly perfect right out of the box and that was after they sat in the car and made several hard wheel yanking runs....I love the weight transfer I get now with them in conjunction with the Shocks and they really made a difference in my 60' times....not a whole bunch you understand but for sure noticeable on the time sheet and without spending a whole lot more money on a complete new front end suspension set up honestly can not see how to do it any better ...or cost effective for that matter.

I have a set in the Rally Nova (along with the same shocks) thats for a Small Block but still have that car in the works as it were but I am completely satisfied that I will be just as happy with them and that set up as well.

Randy

1 - 7 of 7 Posts