Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Discussion Starter #1
This is either a seller who doesn't now what numbers matching means, or they're hoping nobody will investigate enough to find out it's not true.

Nice looking Nova SS, but for 50K at least take the car cover all the way off for pictures. For this kind of money a buyer would also expect an original, or correct reproduction interior, not a cheapo job like this one. Probably paint that is better then 'driver quality', too. It appears the seller believes any '362' engine is close enough to call the car 'numbers matching'. This engine is stated to be original, but the 'V' suffix code gives it away as built December 30th 1967. The 2.02 heads would not be original to this engine. There is no mention of any paperwork or other evidence that the transmission and rear end are really original, either. The car has been substantially modified, so much of the 'numbers matching' rhetoric is a moot point.

For those who are saying, 'who cares about numbers matching', keep in mind it could mean a 5k to 10K difference in the asking price. A real 'numbers' 1966 SS is going to have a substantial premium added over one that is 'non numbers'. There is also the 'novice' factor. Not everyone is as well versed on these cars as members here at SNS. Over the years, I've been asked by numerous newcomers to the hobby to look at cars they've fallen in love with and want to buy. Sellers frequently baffle them with car jargon that is meaningless, confusing and sometimes just not true. Numbers matching even means different things to people already in our hobby, so pity the poor newby. Bottom line is, if you're looking at a car you're thinking of buying, first ask questions here at SNS and/or have an experienced car person go with you to look at it. Over the years, this site has saved a lot of folks from being very disappointed.

Bob

Reactions: kwhizz

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
Very well stated Bob. You are dead on with that.

Super Moderator
One of the best parts about the site, the heads up to potential buyers. Some people don't want to know or don't care, and that's just fine with me--I'm sure it's a great car for the right person--but at least the facts are out there. The problem right off the bat is that the seller calls it a 'survivor' and there is so much about this car that has not survived from it's delivery day in '66 that to call it that discredits the seller's judgment, I think. There would be significant effort and expense to return it to original if a buyer wanted that, and that makes the price too high. But a Marina Blue '66SS has a lot of draw in any condition, and there will be some suitors.

Registered
This is either a seller who doesn't now what numbers matching means, or they're hoping nobody will investigate enough to find out it's not true.

Nice looking Nova SS, but for 50K at least take the car cover all the way off for pictures. For this kind of money a buyer would also expect an original, or correct reproduction interior, not a cheapo job like this one. Probably paint that is better then 'driver quality', too. It appears the seller believes any '362' engine is close enough to call the car 'numbers matching'. This engine is stated to be original, but the 'V' suffix code gives it away as built December 30th 1967. The 2.02 heads would not be original to this engine. There is no mention of any paperwork or other evidence that the transmission and rear end are really original, either. The car has been substantially modified, so much of the 'numbers matching' rhetoric is a moot point.

For those who are saying, 'who cares about numbers matching', keep in mind it could mean a 5k to 10K difference in the asking price. A real 'numbers' 1966 SS is going to have a substantial premium added over one that is 'non numbers'. There is also the 'novice' factor. Not everyone is as well versed on these cars as members here at SNS. Over the years, I've been asked by numerous newcomers to the hobby to look at cars they've fallen in love with and want to buy. Sellers frequently baffle them with car jargon that is meaningless, confusing and sometimes just not true. Numbers matching even means different things to people already in our hobby, so pity the poor newby. Bottom line is, if you're looking at a car you're thinking of buying, first ask questions here at SNS and/or have an experienced car person go with you to look at it. Over the years, this site has saved a lot of folks from being very disappointed.

Bob
Hi Bob it's me John bugging you again. Trying to understand Nova codes since I believe mine is a numbers matching. You state the V 1230 means its built dec 30 67. I'm confused as mine is V1230 CJG that I thought it means built at Flint Mi. on the 30 of dec. and the year comes from the engine vin code.
Resized_20171001_153208.jpeg

Registered
Hi Bob it's me John bugging you again. Trying to understand Nova codes since I believe mine is a numbers matching. You state the V 1230 means its built dec 30 67. I'm confused as mine is V1230 CJG that I thought it means built at Flint Mi. on the 30 of dec. and the year comes from the engine vin code. View attachment 404239
I should add that is a pic of my Vin and engine code. The vin. starts with 11W which I think means a chev built in 1971 at Willow Run Mi. Dont know the Flint Michigan and Willow Run discrepancy but I'm canadian. I guess its the willow run plant in Flint. Michigan. The e-bay add shows a casting no. as well which I know nothing about. Off topic there is a nice 64 Acadian Canso more door 6 three in the tree in nice shape on Kijji in Duncan for $7200 obo.
1964 Acadian Canso $7,200 obo | Classic Cars | Cowichan Valley / Duncan | Kijiji

Discussion Starter #6
My mistake, John. The engine in this eBay car would have been assembled December 30, 1966, not '67. Flint changed from the 'F' designator to 'V' with the 1967 engines that would gone into production in the last half of 1966. There is nothing in the suffix codes to indicate the year of assembly. The casting date on the engine helps, but blocks have been known to be stockpiled for extended periods and sometimes cross over production years. This is a '362' block that was last used in Chevy IIs in 1967, so with the 'V' designator, I'm assuming it's a 1967 L30 built December 30, 1966. Not sure I'm answering your question.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts