Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all!

I'm looking to improve the heater system in my 65... Does anyone know if an aluminum heater core is available and if so, where one might be found?

I'm not the best at sourcing parts and all I seem to come up with are factory replacments. Copper or brass or whatever they are! Not much heat out of those!

Cheers!

·
Registered
157 Posts
I might be thinking crazy, but I don't think aluminum will help this issue?

You want a material that will retain heat for the blower to move air across. Aluminum dissipates heat faster and would make the blower less effective.

I might be way off, but I did stay in a Holiday Inn Express last night! :eek:

·
Registered
373 Posts
Heater Core?

I have a '63 convertible that didn't seem to give much heat. Assuming the thermostat is correct, and the engine is warmed up, I found that my heater core was partially plugged. Replacing the heater core made all of the difference in the world. You may try flushing the system first. Good Luck!

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have only had this car two weeks, so haven't had a chance for a really good check-up!

I just tried the heat on the way to work this morning, and it was no bueno!

I did replace the heater core in a previous nova and to be honest, it wasn't much better (other than the no leak!)!

I hear the coolant moving through the core, may be a little low.

As for what I understand, the aluminum will disipate more heat as the fan blows over it. That is the reason it is used in new cars.

I know that the rad is original and is quite clean inside, so I would suspect the heater to be no different.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts