Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
1968 Chevy II Nova, Central Arkansas
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I ask you how to get the busings out of my A-arms and while a few gave me some tips on how to do it myself the best tip I got was take them to a professional. I am glad I did. I was going to have the arms powder coated but I was afraid they would get scratched up putting the bushings in and I did not have new rubber bumpers that I would have to destroy. Dad sandblasted and primed them for me so when I go them home yesterday I shot a coat of glossy black.

Hopefully today I can get the power booster, master cyclinder and brake lines plumbed and maybe have some time left for the A-arms.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Not going to well. Worked all morning and only have the booster in place. The instuctions say if you are switching from manual brakes to power you must move the activation rod to the lower hole in the brake pedal which I did. It took me an hour to get the return brake spring on and now with the activation rod in the lower hole the return spring hits the brake light switch. I was wondering if I really even need the spring since the pedal seems to come back. Any suggestions? Anyone else run into this problem?

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Guess I should not have bragged about what all I was going to get done today becuase I just hit one snag after another and at the end of the day I did not have one new part installed. All I managed to do was to take more stuff off. I now have the steering column and the brace that holds the brake pedal out of the car.:(

·
Registered
219 Posts
I definitely feel your pain man. I've had so many of those days. You did make progress though, so don't feel too bad. The more stuff you take apart, the more stuff you can clean and paint before you put it back in! I'm in the middle of a similar brake swap too, and haven't messed with the pedal yet. If you do figure it out, some pictures of the assembly would be awesome. Good luck!

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the words of encouragement. I needed that. I have two brake assemblies on the ground right now so I should be able to get you some pictures. My car was originally a 3 on the tree standard and I changed the transmission to an automatic. I changed the internals of the column to make it an automatic shift and I just sawsalled the the clutch pedal leaving me with a small brake pedal. I have an automatic column and brake pedal and figured now would be the time to swap those in. I need to hook up my gear indicator but that would mean taking MORE stuff apart. Do you have to take the dash out to do that? I hate working under the dash.

·
Premium Member
1,998 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Today went better. My son came and helped me and we got quite a bit done. The steering column and brake assembly is back in. We got the power booster, master cylinder and new brake lines installed plus 3 of the a-arms on. It goes so much better wehn you have a helper.:)

·
Registered
421 Posts
to stuborn

i should have taken mine to a shop also. the lower bushings came out easy with my ball joint press, but i did not see the pinching of the control arm where the bushings go through. so now i have new upper and lower arms coming. you learn from your mistakes. i read on another post that you are suppose to remove the spring when switching to power brakes. i am getting ready to install my set up soon.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts