Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I received this from SEMA today, and I'd encourage every Calif member to email your opposition to the idiotic Assemblyman that has proposed it. Here's the article;
To view this email as a web page, please follow this link

California Reintroduces Bill to Require ANNUAL Emissions Tests for Vehicles 15-Years Old and Older

Here we go again! Legislation (A.B. 859) has been reintroduced in the California Assembly by Assemblyman Dave Jones ([email protected]) to require annual Smog check inspections for vehicles 15-years old and older. The bill would also require that funds generated through the additional inspection fees be deposited into an account which can be used to scrap older cars. You may recall that in 2004 a new law was enacted in California to require the lifetime testing of all 1976 and newer model-year vehicles. Pre-1976 motor vehicles would remain exempt under A.B. 859. The bill has been referred to the Assembly Transportation Committee.

We Urge You to Contact Assemblyman Jones and Members of the Assembly Transportation Committee (List Below) Immediately to Oppose A.B. 859

A.B. 859 ignores the minimal impact vintage cars have on air quality.

A.B. 859 could entice vintage car owners into allowing these vehicles to be scrapped.

A.B. 859 ignores the fact that vehicles 15-years old and older still constitute a small portion of the overall vehicle population and are a poor source from which to look for emissions reduction.

A.B. 859 ignores the fact that classic vehicles are overwhelmingly well-maintained and infrequently driven.

A.B. 859 would increase costs by creating an annual inspection fee for owners of these vehicles.

A.B. 859 represents another attempt by California legislators and regulators to scapegoat older cars.
Please contact members of the California Assembly Transportation Committee immediately by phone, fax or e-mail to request their opposition to A.B. 859.

·
Registered
1,301 Posts
glad im not a car guy in cali hopefully it works out for you guys over there, Illinois has something like 1995 an older no more emissions testing :yes:

·
Registered
761 Posts
Arrghh!!! I'm tired of the idiots running this state. And I mean EVERYONE who runs this state. I hope this isn't too political but lately CA is nothing but a hotbed of useless legislation aimed at increasing the budget and therefore size and control of the state government. This state is absolutely run by special interest groups and generally incompetent/corrupt/generally malicious incumbents...the last egregious thing they proposed, and actually accomplished, was a ban on the rental of OBD II code scanners... WHAT THE HECK WAS THE REASONING BEHIND THAT???

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
Others follow

glad im not a car guy in cali hopefully it works out for you guys over there, Illinois has something like 1995 an older no more emissions testing :yes:
If this bill becomes law. Other states will be looking at California to see what they are doing. It could come to your state sooner than you think. LOL

B

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
Anybody watch the news? Read magazines? Watch Discovery Channel?

The buzzwords of the day are greenhouse gases, global warming, climate change, carbon footprint.

Those that are glad they live in other states, know that the buzzwords, and the legislation WILL get you too.

·
Premium Member
1,340 Posts
the funny thing about this is that a hybrid car produces more carbondioxide in its PRODUCTION then a hummer that is running for 20 years NONSTOP!!! and there going after us. :no::no:

somebody needs to fire that congressman i swear hes the only one that keeps trying to pass laws on old car emissions.

I bet when he was my age he drove a civic with a coffee can muffler with a broken *** body kit on it.

·
Premium Member
1,745 Posts
Arrghh!!! I'm tired of the idiots running this state. And I mean EVERYONE who runs this state. I hope this isn't too political but lately CA is nothing but a hotbed of useless legislation aimed at increasing the budget and therefore size and control of the state government. This state is absolutely run by special interest groups and generally incompetent/corrupt/generally malicious incumbents...the last egregious thing they proposed, and actually accomplished, was a ban on the rental of OBD II code scanners... WHAT THE HECK WAS THE REASONING BEHIND THAT???

if it wasn't for the weather would any of us be here still?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
Email sent to that b-face. Seriously why do they do this stuff?

·
Registered
2,638 Posts
if it wasn't for the weather would any of us be here still?
you can't forget black plates, rust-free (ish) cars, and you can surf and snowboard in the same day if you feel so inclined. Oh, and disneyland? and traffic, and smog, and taxes. those are fun too...

·
Registered
809 Posts
This Bill is just a money generator.If people dont start standing up and tell these people to back off were all going to be driving Toyotas.People b#tch and moan about this but what are people doing about it?Little by little these moronic laws get passed with little notice and the next thing you know the tow truck is dragging your car out of the driveway and its down to the crusher.People need to start pulling together and get the message to Sacremento,enough already!

·
Premium Member
1,229 Posts
list California State Assembly Committee on Transportation

I didn't see the list, here it is...

http://www.assembly.ca.gov/acs/newcomframeset.asp?committee=24

Mike Eng - Chair

Dem-49 (916) 319-2049 [email protected]

Kevin Jeffries - Vice Chair

Rep-66 (916) 319-2066 [email protected]

Bob Blumenfield

Dem-40 (916) 319-2040 [email protected]

Joan Buchanan

Dem-15 (916) 319-2015 [email protected]

Connie Conway

Rep-34 (916) 319-2034 [email protected]

Warren T. Furutani

Dem-55 (916) 319-2055 [email protected]

Cathleen Galgiani

Dem-17 (916) 319-2017 [email protected]

Martin Garrick

Rep-74 (916) 319-2074 [email protected]

Bonnie Lowenthal

Dem-54 (916) 319-2054 [email protected]

Jeff Miller

Rep-71 (916) 319-2071 [email protected]

Roger Niello

Rep-5 (916) 319-2005 [email protected]

John A. Pérez

Dem-46 (916) 319-2046

·
Registered
809 Posts
The problem is people see this and blow it off as its no big deal but little by little Sac is chipping away or rights to own these cars.Im going to look into joining the Sema Action Network or at least see if can get some info.Something needs to be done,pretty soon we will be smogging our cars every year.Some of these laws are put on the books to generate money,thats all.

·
Premium Member
8,478 Posts
I take it that everybody has read the actual bill, instead of just accepting what SEMA has published about it, and fully understand what it is about.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
Thanks for posting this absurdity. There are a lot of politicians that won't be returning to office in the future. This attempt to kill another financial environment is ridiculous.

·
Premium Member
481 Posts
I have sent my objection to the above and have automatic replys from some of our officials. The replies are very frustrating because they are referrals and avoidances of the issue. We cannot help it if they don't want to make a direct reply but also we don't have to support them to return to office. California needs changes, we don't need another financial part of our community destroyed.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts