Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I used to have a 67 Camero with mono leaf and slappers, it worked very well. I was told by some and Lakewood that the mono could bend or possibly break the mono spring (I have seen some w/funky twists to them). While at a junkyard I was looking for something else, I ran across a new set of replacement multi leafs for $15. I snagged them, and while my diff was being built I had the builder weld on the multi pack perches. He also advised me this was a better setup than the mono. I want good hook up and don't care about street ride. Just wanted your opinions.

Thanks,
Denis :cool:

·
Registered
110 Posts
single leaf with cal tracs are hookin really hard. Saw some extreme wheelies at cecil county dragway last year from 68-72 novas with this set up

·
Registered
12 Posts
this just reminded me that i had a question <not to take the focus away from drdenny> but umm... i am replacing my leaf springs and Ground Up magazine has mono, 4 leaf, and 5 leaf springs. so i went out to my car and counted what i had.. assuming that whoever had this car before me didn't put something funky on it, and assuming that by "leafs" they mean the # of metal plates bolted together (because i really don't know), i have 3 leaf springs.. obviously the longest "leaf" has the eyelets at the ends so you can bolt it to your car, then there is a shorter one under that, and another one that is shorter under that. maybe this is ignorance on my part, but that looks like a 3 leaf spring. which begs the question, should i get the mono, 4, or 5 leaf replacment. is is just pros and cons per my perogative?
i hope you guys don't think i am retarded now..

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Someone probably removed 1 leaf. Is it missing 1 on each side, did you count both spring? Back in the day we used to either remove 1 leaf from the left or add 1 to the right. That would help soften the left and stiffen the right for a more uniform tire plant. I'll go count mine. Okay I have 4 on each side.

Denis

·
Registered
1,137 Posts
Some one might have been trying to lower the rear. Better look to see if someone tried to de-arch the springs by heating them also. Those methods of lowering a car can be dangerous.

·
Premium Member
2,921 Posts
im running multi with no problems.. right now its slapper bars, frame connectors and a locked rear.. hooks pretty good..

·
Registered
673 Posts
I've got 5 leafs on the rear of my 72, and it rides pretty rough. I don't know if it is from the 50 series tires, poly bushings or the springs, but it isn't as smooth as I'd like.

·
Premium Member
3,758 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Good, glad to hear that. I have slappers and connectors. I was just wanting to know what to expect when she runs.:rolleyes:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts