Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know better than to even ask this, but Im in a bind, I have 2 cruises coming up, and im tight on cash, my cars all but undrivable because my rear monos are as flat as can be, I have a brand spanking new set of multileafs I bought a few years ago in the shed.

Heres the question
I looked at the existing setup, and what I have is my traction bars are my lower brackets, they bolt into the mono plate on my axle housing, if I put in the multileafs and used a longer bolt, or possibly u bolts, the new springs would not quite fully be sandwiched by the spring perches, but it seems like it would still be strong enough. Im not gonna go to the races like this, but has anyone ever done this? Ill wait till winter, and get the correct perches and have them welded in, and get the proper kit to install them

seems like it should work like this, but Im not sure any advice would be appreciated

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sweet!!!

So I drill the existing plates to 1/2 and get the U bolts., do I get them at a spring shop?

Thanx man, ive been agonizing over this, its so bad it sways at 80mph and im tearing my exhaust off because its so damn low, ill do it this weekend, I got NOS shocks, and removed the air shocks the prior owner was using to prop up the rear, I hear the multileafs run really smooth

thanx man

Steve

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
So I drill the existing plates to 1/2 and get the U bolts., do I get them at a spring shop?
You can buy them at Pep Boys if you don't have a spring place nearby. I found an offroad place that makes them up any size you want for $10 ea.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
you will probably want to drill you plates to 9/16 inch. 1/2 u-bolts can be really hard to get through a 1/2 hole. You will have to drill your perches larger too. A step bore bit works really well.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Outstanding

Assuming the shackle bolts and the front mount bolts come out easy, Ill be respringed in a few hours, man im all geeked now

thanx guys

Steve

·
Registered
1,908 Posts
I ran mine like that for a long time, never a problem.

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So far so good

I loosened the bolts, and they actually tapped out a little bit, so I soaked the heck out of it with PB Blaster so Im gonna try to do it tomorrow, I saw the front mount will have to come off, the (3) 9/16th bolts, to get the through bolt out, but so far so good, I cant WAIT to feel this thing with good springs in it

thanx for all the help guys

Steve

·
Premium Member
1,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Update, kinda weird

Well I got one on, didnt go too bad, except with the rubber pieces on, im not sure the bolt slipped into the hole,. seems like it is, but cant be sure, got it all bolted up, and I put on the tire, and its the same freaking height, from a mono to a multi, and the exact same height, I took it for a test drive, and its noticable that the right side rides better, so tomorrow ill do the left, may leave the rubber pads out to see if I can seat it better, and if it does, ill redo the rh side, ill see if i can upload a pic somehow, but I really hoped it was gonna raise it an inch or 2, I dont like the ride with airshocks

S

1 - 11 of 11 Posts