Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just picked up a 70 and I am going through everything. I have mono springs on the rearend. what are your thoughts on this? I am thinking maybe 400-425 max horse power.

I am planning to a complete build and need to know if I should be worried about the springs.

Attachments

·
Registered
405 Posts
I think you should be worried about hooking up if you're going to make that much power! The monoleafs will bend and bow pretty good if you have any kind of decent tire on the back.

Depending on your budget... you could go super-cheap and use slapper bars (which are kind of a no-no with monos, since they still bend easily), you could go middle-of-the-road and get some new multi-leaf springs and slappers and/or a traction device of some sort, or go big bucks and get a set of split-monos with a traction bar set (Cal-Trac bars come to mind).

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am working on a total rebuild. Budget is going to be tight. I have sub frame connectors installed right now.

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Def go with multi leaf springs, the issue will be the spring pocket on the rear diff axle tubes - they are only deep enough to hold a single leaf. I've seen installs where a multi is installed in a single pocket, it looks hokey and lacks lateral stability. So, to do it right you'll need a multi leaf rear and the multi leaf springs - might as well jump to a '73+ rear and get the better 8.5" ring vs the 8.2" ring.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Def go with multi leaf springs, the issue will be the spring pocket on the rear diff axle tubes - they are only deep enough to hold a single leaf. I've seen installs where a multi is installed in a single pocket, it looks hokey and lacks lateral stability. So, to do it right you'll need a multi leaf rear and the multi leaf springs - might as well jump to a '73+ rear and get the better 8.5" ring vs the 8.2" ring.
Damn, things just got real. That sucks, do I have any other options to the spring mount on the axle?????

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
after reading thru this i had to go look at my 66 with an 8.2 an 3 leafs how it was all connected. well it looks like i have single leaf pockets with shims, spacers to equal the 2nd an 3rd leaf. an also double u-bolts to keep it tight. so would this work for you.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Yep, that's the optional 'multi into a single' approach. I don't know that it's all that bad provided you don't put a ton of power to it....

·
Registered
3,014 Posts
i thought that was what you were talking about 3 into one assembly. i have 300-310 hp into a 3.55 diff. from a 700r4. i wish the picture was more from the back to really see how the spacers are set.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Redrider66SS how does your multi-leaf setup hook-up? I have a mono with a home made slapper type setup with my shocks relocated to clear my tires, and it is really stable, no wheel hop. But I don't get the kind of traction that a Mopar friend gets with his multi-leaf / pinion snubber setup. When he stalls up on the line, the back of his car will rise up inches, when he launches you can watch the wheels drive into the ground, it hooks up great, no wheel hop. Mine just stays flat, doesn't squat but does't drive the axle down like I would like. Mine is a 69 with dynoed 300HP to the wheels, but it looks just like your 62 setup. I am curios because I am planning to up the HP to about 400 and want to put it to the ground!!

·
Registered
20,118 Posts
after reading thru this i had to go look at my 66 with an 8.2 an 3 leafs how it was all connected. well it looks like i have single leaf pockets with shims, spacers to equal the 2nd an 3rd leaf. an also double u-bolts to keep it tight. so would this work for you.
i thought that was what you were talking about 3 into one assembly. i have 300-310 hp into a 3.55 diff. from a 700r4. i wish the picture was more from the back to really see how the spacers are set.
I can see your spacers there on the sides blending in with the leaf spring picture. Nothing the matter with that at all as long you assemble first measure gap and leave about 3/16" short so you know it pulls up good and tight on those springs. I wouldn't even worry about them like that even with more power.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Redrider66SS how does your multi-leaf setup hook-up? I have a mono with a home made slapper type setup with my shocks relocated to clear my tires, and it is really stable, no wheel hop. But I don't get the kind of traction that a Mopar friend gets with his multi-leaf / pinion snubber setup. When he stalls up on the line, the back of his car will rise up inches, when he launches you can watch the wheels drive into the ground, it hooks up great, no wheel hop. Mine just stays flat, doesn't squat but does't drive the axle down like I would like. Mine is a 69 with dynoed 300HP to the wheels, but it looks just like your 62 setup. I am curios because I am planning to up the HP to about 400 and want to put it to the ground!!
Ah the Mopar Super Stock springs! A feature that dominated Pro Stock & earlier class racing. As I understand they clamped the leaves in reverse order to the normal street car. They wind up as designed and release that stored energy as they roll away from the line after hooking (& rising). They were one of Mopar's secret weapons.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts