Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
70 nova with 8.2 10 bolt mono leaf, going with 8.5 10 bolt multi leaf springs. I would like to have new, stock springs from 73 or 74, does anyone know what weight ratio these are or where I could get a set. Not racing, just some long tours so I would like a smooth ride. Also, will the mono leaf shock mount plates fit on the multi leaf, if not a source for them too.
Thanks

·
Registered
4,671 Posts
Hi there ...

Look here : Summit -- DSE Mono to Multi spring conversion Kit .

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/dsr-041101

and, I think you use your stock lower spring plates .

Then, WELCOME To SNS .....

ps --- Where are you in Tx ? ........ jim

·
Registered
2,833 Posts
70 nova with 8.2 10 bolt mono leaf, going with 8.5 10 bolt multi leaf springs. I would like to have new, stock springs from 73 or 74, does anyone know what weight ratio these are or where I could get a set. Not racing, just some long tours so I would like a smooth ride. Also, will the mono leaf shock mount plates fit on the multi leaf, if not a source for them too.
Thanks
There are a couple of sources you can go to for factory replacement springs.
Eaton, Deaver Spring, and SD Truck are some of the venders I’m familiar with. I suspect that there’s a local spring shop in your area that could make you a set of springs to your specifications.. Many 4x4s, pickups, trailers, and commercial trucks still commonly have leaf spring suspensions so finding a shop shouldn’t be too difficult.. This is basically a blacksmith related type of business.. I know of a couple of shops here in SoCal but you should be able to locate a place much closer to you. Maybe contact Austin Speedshop for a referral or maybe a member on here could point you in the right direction.. Sbc1320, and TomM are SNS members Located in Texas.

With regard to the leaf spring saddles on your axles they are different for mono and multi leaf applications and are easy enough to determine when looking at them. The multi leaf saddles are much deeper the the mono leaf saddles. I believe the lower shock mount plates are interchangeable.. If you have mono leaf saddles and want to use multi leaf springs then use a kit like Twinshadows aka Jim referenced in the post above..

Also, shock absorbers can have a significant effect on ride and handling characteristics..

Oil filled dampers merely mute the oscillation of the springs and will make for the most supple ride possible for any given the spring rate you choose..
Gas charged shocks provide a little more resistance to complement the spring and keep the tires planted on the road.

·
Registered
1972 Nova
330 Posts
The shocks are different between mono and multi-leaf spring plates, so keep that in mind when trying to find the right height.

If you want a stiff sporty ride, I would suggest stock multi-leaf springs. I don't know how that conversion kit rides, but I have 5-leaf springs and they are very stiff. Haven't had it on the road yet, so I don't know how they will ride with the Monroe shocks that I have yet to order (the part number for multi-leaf springs does not work for 5-leaf springs, as they are like 1" from even letting the axle sit naturally).

1 - 4 of 4 Posts