Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have read many articles regarding mono versus multi-leaf springs. I have a 70 Nova that has mono's. Its a street car. I just want a smooth ride.

Can anyone offer their advice?

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
With the Calvert Split-Mono leaf springs my car rides very nice as long as the Cal-Tracs have no pre-load. If you don't intend to do any racing, the springs along with a decent pair of shocks should work well without the bars.

·
Registered
329 Posts
I have read many articles regarding mono versus multi-leaf springs. I have a 70 Nova that has mono's. Its a street car. I just want a smooth ride.

Can anyone offer their advice?
Mono's are probably cheaper but are easier to wrap if you have a lot of torque.

Multi's are stiffer

but I'm a pro-turing guy so too stiff isn't something I know of.

Just remember the mono are easier to "compress" then multis, but it's the rebound setting on the shock that will more likely make a smoother ride.

Or just always drive on smooth roads

·
Registered
2,146 Posts
if you want a mushy ride run monos. I had monos in my 70 and switched to multis and new monroe gas matics and the thing rode so nice. Not too stiff and not mushy at all.

·
Premium Member
3,819 Posts
Mono's work just fine, unless they break. That single leaf spring is all that holds the rearend in place.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the response.

If I were to use multi's are there any modifications? Also did the multi's raise the rear end?

My car has a low stance at the moment and may be because of spring sag. I would like to keep it with a low stance.

·
Registered
309 Posts
well on 68-74's I thought multi leafs were considered the poor mans traction bar also only one of the leafs hold the rear in as well

·
Registered
329 Posts
Thanks for the response.

If I were to use multi's are there any modifications? Also did the multi's raise the rear end?

My car has a low stance at the moment and may be because of spring sag. I would like to keep it with a low stance.
If you get the hotchkis one it won't raise it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
got a set of multi's on my 63 and it raised it a couple inches. put in blocks to set it back down. i may remove one of the springs too to get it a bit lower.

·
Premium Member
4,365 Posts
A couple of things to consider when selecting springs. How much power your have and your driving style. Factory springs are geared towards comfort regardless of the number of leafs. The multi leaves control axle wrap better for high torque applications. You can put a three leaf spring in your mon-leaf purches. Just use one isolator pad on the top.

IMO call a spring shop and get a set of three leafs in the 140 - 160 lbs range and select a premium, mid-sport shock. You are running a Camaro type spring, so they are easy to come by. A reputable spring shop should be able to set you up the the rate your are looking for and the ride height your are looking for. You can go with a mono-leaf, just make sure it will handle your power range

Stock third gen mono-leafs are 100 -120 lbs. Hotchkis three leafs are 225 lbs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts