Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My rear factory mono leafs are shot. I have a 1972 Nova 4-door. The rear end is out pending a rebuild with 3.73 gears, Trutrac unit, 30 spline Moser axles, and so on... It has a cammed 383 stroker, AFR heads, FTI 3600 stall, and th350. Street strip car. Mostly street and strip sometimes only for fun. Im looking for a recommendation on a good set of performance mono leafs. I been looking at the Calvert split monos, but they seem heavily geared towards strip only. People say they are very stiff. Im looking for something in the middle of street and strip. Any ideas? Thanks.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
You can get composite springs custom made specifically for your application for less than you spend on a good Hotchkis set. The composites will give you the performance of multi-leaf while retaining the form of mono leaf. I put them on my car and I'm happy enough with them. Mine came from flex-form.com. I think there are other manufacturers as well.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Wow, those things are cool! I never knew anyone offered such a thing. Do you use their traction bars?

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
I'm running the Calvert split mono's on my car with CalTracs and the Rancho shocks. It rides good and doesn't feel stiff.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Awesome! Did they set then up custom for you. I hear the rear half of the spring can be stiff, loose, or in the miidle depending on what you want. Also, how are those Caltracks on the street? Do they make noise? I hear they click and have to be adjusted. Any advice?

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,315 Posts
I just completed the exact upgrade to my rear end, but anyway I found a 3 leaf spring that fits the mono mounting without using any spacers. You have to eliminate at least one rubber pad on each side. Mine seems to have enough clamping force with no pads. I too had sagging mono's, it basically brought the rear end back to a stock height. I'm still putting things together so I can't give you any performance or issue info just yet. Maybe somebody can comment on that setup that has tried this.

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I just completed the exact upgrade to my rear end, but anyway I found a 3 leaf spring that fits the mono mounting without using any spacers. You have to eliminate at least one rubber pad on each side. Mine seems to have enough clamping force with no pads. I too had sagging mono's, it basically brought the rear end back to a stock height. I'm still putting things together so I can't give you any performance or issue info just yet. Maybe somebody can comment on that setup that has tried this.
Wow! Nice job. What brand are those and are you using traction bars?

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
Awesome! Did they set then up custom for you. I hear the rear half of the spring can be stiff, loose, or in the miidle depending on what you want. Also, how are those Caltracks on the street? Do they make noise? I hear they click and have to be adjusted. Any advice?
Actually the front half of the spring is designed to be stiffer. They were on the car when I bought it. The PO was racing it and had preload in the bars, that does make for a stiff ride, not harsh though. I pulled the whole rear suspension out of the car to change the gear ratio and clean/paint the housing.
The aluminum spring hanger bushings were bound up and binding on the bolts so I cleaned and lubed them. I run about 1/8" air gap between the spring and roller as recommended for street use. Yes they do make noise but are worth it IMO. The bars are very easy to adjust but I haven't had to reset mine. The ride is good.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thank you very much! I dont mind noises. So an 8th gap for street use so its not too stiff?

·
Registered
65 Super Sport
245 Posts
Thank you very much! I dont mind noises. So an 8th gap for street use so its not too stiff?
The installation instructions that came with the car say to run a gap for street use so I do. Mine is set about 1/8" on the right side and slightly looser on the left. My link bars are set level with the road, bottom hole. See pic 240.jpg

Attachments

·
Premium Member
72, 2 Dr, 383, 700r4
1,315 Posts

·
Registered
1972 Nova
327 Posts
Anyone have experience with U bolt conversions?
Easy answer is... do it. The t-nuts are dangerous, as they are relying on the perch welds on the axle instead of clamping the whole axle and spring together. I bought a set off eBay made for a Camaro with multi-leaf (I have 5-leaf springs), and they fit perfectly. I'm not sure if you would have to drill out your leaf spring perch or clamp to use them, but they are much better.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Anyone have experience with U bolt conversions?
Easy answer is... do it. The t-nuts are dangerous, as they are relying on the perch welds on the axle instead of clamping the whole axle and spring together. I bought a set off eBay made for a Camaro with multi-leaf (I have 5-leaf springs), and they fit perfectly. I'm not sure if you would have to drill out your leaf spring perch or clamp to use them, but they are much better.
Wow, great point! I did not think of it that way. I cant seem to find a U-bolt kit for mono leafs. They seem to only be offered for the multi leaf or multi leaf conversion kits. Any ideas?

·
Registered
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

·
Registered
1972 Nova
327 Posts
Wow, great point! I did not think of it that way. I cant seem to find a U-bolt kit for mono leafs. They seem to only be offered for the multi leaf or multi leaf conversion kits. Any ideas?
Really you just need a set of u-bolts that are the right width (3" I believe), and the right length. The stock u-bolt is 7/16", and some people go up to 1/2" for strength if racing. You might have to drill the perches out to accept the u-bolt, and if you get a set that is too long you can cut them shorter.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/MADE-IN-USA-Leaf-Spring-U-Bolts-4pc-Camaro-Firebird-67-81-Nova-68-79-69-70-71-72/151130697934?hash=item23301770ce:g:hrsAAOSwMM9bFyIs
I believe this is the person I bought mine from. Most places sell the longer u-bolts, but these worked perfectly on my multi-leaf setup.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
Find a spring shop in your area they can make new U-bolts for you.

I have a spring shop close by and have had new U-bolts made for my truck when I swapped out the rear axle. They can build new springs and can modify my existing springs..

These U-bolts were made for me in May of 2015.

Attachments

·
Registered
Mike - 74 Nova Baltimore, MD
1,484 Posts
Also, how are those Caltracks on the street? Do they make noise? I hear they click and have to be adjusted. Any advice?
I run about 1/8" air gap between the spring and roller as recommended for street use. Yes they do make noise but are worth it IMO. The bars are very easy to adjust but I haven't had to reset mine. The ride is good.
Here are a couple ideas to quite your Caltracs when set up with a gap between the spring and the roller for a better street ride.
See post #156 and #157
https://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=645482&page=11

I found that the polyurethane leaf spring pad (post #156) will last longer than the heater hose (post #157)... but the heater hose method is cheap, readily available at nearly all auto parts stores, and very easy to install.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts