Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm in the process of freshening up the 454.The engine has been sitting for about 8 years.So I decided to Inspect everything be for I started thrashing it at the track.It is bored 60 balanced and has forged pistons 10 3/4 to 1 compression and I believe it has cast rings in it now. Do you think I need moly rings It will see 6500 rpm max and don't plan on any power adders. Any Input Appreciated Thanks , Dave

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Rings

Why not go gapless?
Mike

·
Registered
351 Posts
Standard moly coated cast rings would be fine. I've had really good luck with the file fit moly set with the ductile iron top ring. They're a bit more money, and perhaps overkill with no power adders, but they've sure worked well for me.

·
Premium Member
11,072 Posts
What other advantages could I expect.
Well, your wallet will be much lighter, maybe it'll be faster!!
Personally, I like gapless rings just fine for some applications; but I wouldn't waste the money on your particular combo.

·
Registered
3,416 Posts
Hi guys,

Personally I would not use a gap less rig in your application. The only time I prefer gap less rings is in alcohol engines, and then its a toss up.

If it were mine or a customers, I would only use a ductile iron top ring. Usually a plasma moly. This type of ring is almost impossible to crack or break, and will usually survive some detonation. A cast ring is much more susceptible to cracking when detonation is an issue, and this will cause severe blow by and usually piston and cyl wall damage.

Ductile iron top rings are a good investment in my opinion.

Good Luck
Jeff

1 - 6 of 6 Posts