Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
748 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What would work best to install in between the coil springs to raise the ride height a little bit? When I take a turn my passenger side tire rubs on the fender. Tire size is only a 165 R 15. I'm still using the stock small block coil springs with a big block in it currently. The coil springs are also the original 69 as well. I realize they are very tired, weak, and just slap wore out. I recently got laid off from my job so the nova is on the back burner for the time being. Later down the road when I land a job, I will be replacing the stock factory coil springs with some Moroso trick springs. But in the time being I still want to drive the car from time to time. Has anyone used wood wedges? Drive them in with a hammer. Thanks guys.

·
Registered
329 Posts
Please don't use wood wedges they will probably fly out and break parts off your car or others, wait until you have the money and buy the Morosos

·
Registered
613 Posts
Back in the 70's when we wanted to raise the front of a Nova, Camaro. etc., we used to be able to purchase an item you stuck in between the coils of the coil springs and twisted with a rachet. Using a jack you would take the weight off the springs and pop these pieces between the coils. The sides of the pieces were grooved
so they matched the shape of the coils and stayed in place. It took a lot of force to twist them as you would be twisting the thin side on to the thick side which wedged them in place. Then put the weight back on them and they were really wedged in place. They worked for what we used them for, which was to keep the tire from rubbing. However every once in a while if you hit a large pot hole at speed, they would pop out, but not often. i have no idea if they are still produced and/or available. I have not seen them for years.

·
Registered
438 Posts
I heard The Car Doctor talk about this on the radio not too long ago. He said the problem with placing something between the coils is that over time it gets beat up and has a tendency to come apart and fly out. If it happens at speed and your car suddenly dives to one side, it could get crazy.

My dad's car used to have a rubber spacer that sat on top of the coil spring to add about another inch. Not sure if those are considered unsafe or not but you can still buy them. Looked like this: http://www.speedwaymotors.com/RUBBER-COIL-SPRING-SPACER,689.html
Here's an adjustable one: http://www.midwestmotorsportsinc.com/order_part.php?item=20191&line=AFC
Google search "coil spring spacer".

If it were me I'd wait and buy the correct springs.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts