Chevy Nova Forum banner

101 - 116 of 116 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
234 Posts
I'm breaking in my 406 with 10w30. Organic, not synthetic.
First change was after 30 minutes of running - car still on jack stands, in the garage. Second change came after another 30 minutes, still in the garage, on stands. Once the car hits the road, it'll be 10w40. Still organic.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,405 Posts
Synthetic oil molecules are the same as ones from the ground except they can be made more uniform. There are many myths about synthetic oils. I think we've discussed that with links to further reading in another thread (Mobil 1 Leaks and Other oil questions).

Here's web site with further oil info and a chart with VI (Viscosity Index) for various oils and weights. Notice that the variation in VI for oils of the same weight class.

Using too heavy an oil increases friction drag and may actually reduce the life of the engine. Hot oil works best, but too hot is not good. Oil temp should be kept in the 215-230 F range. If the oil temp exceeds that then an Oil to air oil cooler with in inline thermostat or a Oil to coolant cooler should be used.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,173 Posts
Change Oil, Are You Crazy?

A friend of mine. Who me change my own oil, are you crazy. Dad said that oil never wears out. Well friend of mine (MIKE) I think after I get ya goin agian you will learn to change your own oil or take it somewhere. This is a shame. Under 60,ooo original miles. 1996 Dodge 5.2 (318) roller cam magnum. I don't think it ever seen an oil change. A photo is worth a thousand words plus probally a couple thousand dollars. I think I can reuse the heads and intake. Bottom end is garbage. Oil pan has big ol hole in it also. For those of you who been putting off changing that oil, go for it. Oil and filter are cheap.:cool:
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,545 Posts
wow thats ridiculous...a ford truck site i was on the guys were always getting oil analysis done and going like 20k between changes.....no thanks, i change mine every 3
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
8,405 Posts
We ought to move that to powertrain section so I can put that in the oil change thread.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
vaporloc said:
A friend of mine. Who me change my own oil, are you crazy. Dad said that oil never wears out. Well friend of mine (MIKE) I think after I get ya goin agian you will learn to change your own oil or take it somewhere. This is a shame. Under 60,ooo original miles. 1996 Dodge 5.2 (318) roller cam magnum. I don't think it ever seen an oil change. A photo is worth a thousand words plus probally a couple thousand dollars. I think I can reuse the heads and intake. Bottom end is garbage. Oil pan has big ol hole in it also. For those of you who been putting off changing that oil, go for it. Oil and filter are cheap.:cool:

Same goes for rear end lube. A buddy of mine decided to dig his 65 chevy II out of storage to start drag racing again.He rebuilt the engine and tranny. On his first trip to the drags he picked me up at 5a.m. we drove five hours to the track.He did a nice burn out.Launched hard.mid track he started slowing.Every tooth was cleaned off the ring gear.long drive home..to change the gears and the seven year old lube.lesson learned.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,167 Posts
acd65post said:
Same goes for rear end lube. A buddy of mine decided to dig his 65 chevy II out of storage to start drag racing again.He rebuilt the engine and tranny. On his first trip to the drags he picked me up at 5a.m. we drove five hours to the track.He did a nice burn out.Launched hard.mid track he started slowing.Every tooth was cleaned off the ring gear.long drive home..to change the gears and the seven year old lube.lesson learned.
if your engine oil is bad and old, you would notice a difference in performance right? and if your tranny fluid is old or bad it would slip right? would that be the same for the rear end? if fluid was old or bad would you be able to tell by it slipping or anything?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
Richardlss said:
if your engine oil is bad and old, you would notice a difference in performance right? and if your tranny fluid is old or bad it would slip right? would that be the same for the rear end? if fluid was old or bad would you be able to tell by it slipping or anything?
If the car is a posi I think the carrier may start making some noises,especially going around tight turns.The lube would not perform as well as it got old. If I store something for a while (say four months or longer) I always change the oil before I fire it up,even if it is the lawn mower.Lubricants are cheaper than repairs.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
475 Posts
This place where I worked several years ago changed the oil and filters in the trucks every 10K-14K miles.......and then they used cheapest filters and oil they could get. They would scratch their heads when the trucks started smoking with 60K on the odometer.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
3,457 Posts
ITSALMOSTNOVA said:
how often should you change the rear end lube
Not sure.my guess would be app.30,000 miles ? Rearend lube is very heavy,pretty much sealed from dirt etc. I know there are different additives for posi's etc.

You drag racers out there,what do you guys do ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
433 Posts
I drove about 40 miles with my 355 and lost oil pressure. Gas diluted the oil and wiped the crank main bearings. It is now in pieces and I am looking for a 383 rotating assembly to redo it.
I am not shure what caused it. Maybe the rings did not seal correctly when broken-in. The carb was working good and not leaking into the intake.
Make shure your oil does not smell like gas!!!
Don
 

·
Moderator
Joined
·
4,533 Posts
As far as rearend lube goes they recomend changing it every 15,000 miles or every 2 years for petrolium based fluids and every 30.000 miles or evry 4 years for synthetics.

Really depends on what you are doing w/the vehicle. I would recomend changing it every 15,000 miles for sure no matter what fkuid you are running. Think about it like this. Most differentials hold around 2 quarts of fluid. There is no filter for when metal particles start rubbing off no matter how small the particles may be. Also there is no cooling system and it's all contained (in most cases) in a cast iorn shell that's like an inch thick. Doesn't really help it cool off if you get my drift. The hotter oil runs the faster it breaks down and doesn't lubricate as well. Trust me diffs run HOT! the next time you get back from a short trip on the freeway just stick your hand on the back of that diff and you'll see what I mean. Basicly what I'm saying is if you are hard on your vehicle or put lots of long miles on it you may want to change it more often than in you car you run back and fouth to the store every few days.

Just my opinion
Miles
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
671 Posts
vaporloc said:
A friend of mine. Who me change my own oil, are you crazy. Dad said that oil never wears out. Well friend of mine (MIKE) I think after I get ya goin agian you will learn to change your own oil or take it somewhere. This is a shame. Under 60,ooo original miles. 1996 Dodge 5.2 (318) roller cam magnum. I don't think it ever seen an oil change. A photo is worth a thousand words plus probally a couple thousand dollars. I think I can reuse the heads and intake. Bottom end is garbage. Oil pan has big ol hole in it also. For those of you who been putting off changing that oil, go for it. Oil and filter are cheap.:cool:
Looks like the LaBrea tar pits.
 
101 - 116 of 116 Posts
Top