Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi,

I've gotten a donor motor/transmission from a 63, 194/PG. I took them apart and resealed everything and painted it all up. Looking nice. But I painted over the blue marking on the torque converter. And I might've rubbed out the white paint on the flex plate if it was there.

How can I find the "light" side of the converter and the "heavy" side of the engine?

This is basically an all-stock setup. I assumed the flex plate and torque converter were already balanced. Maybe I just don't understand what this means.

Something that might help is knowing what holes were used on the flex plate to torque converter (witness marks on flex plate holes) so at lease I know 3? of the 6? possible mounting locations.

Here is a picture of the service manual that denotes all of this:

Here is a picture of my setup fyi:

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
One thing for sure you are never going to install that trans onto the convertor the way you have it in the picture , you are going to have to unbolt the convertor from engine and install into trans to get it to go in. it has to turn and drop into and on to the pump . There are many post on that subject to read.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Lets just hope you removed that set up out of the car as a whole piece. If you removed the motor from tranny and pulled it out of the car then most likely either the tranny pump is damaged or the converter got damage..
FYI
If you are not removing the whole set up as one piece the you must disconnect flywheel from converter then remove one a piece at a time.
Good Luck

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
Lets just hope you removed that set up out of the car as a whole piece. If you removed the motor from tranny and pulled it out of the car then most likely either the tranny pump is damaged or the converter got damage..
FYI
If you are not removing the whole set up as one piece the you must disconnect flywheel from converter then remove one a piece at a time.
Good Luck
Pulling them apart like he did want cause any harm. It's putting them back together like the picture that will hurt the pump. You can pull the trans. and leave the converter, but you will tend to leak fluid and make a bigger mess, but it want hurt anything.

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Sorry dudes,

I think my post was confusing - it was a late night.

The image of the setup is just for sharing. I had it all in one piece, but started to remove the transmission so I could swap the transmission lever (62' is longer than 63'??) - Thanks for the tips concerning all that.

The real question I had is referencing the top image, from the service manual. I want to know how I could find the "light" side of the converter and the "heavy" side of the engine (reflected on the flex plate). I don't have the markings anymore as I foolishly painted over them.

Or does the orientation of the torque converter to flex plate REALLY even matter?

Thanks!

·
Registered
20,109 Posts
I think my post was confusing - it was a late night.

The image of the setup is just for sharing. I had it all in one piece, but started to remove the transmission so I could swap the transmission lever (62' is longer than 63'??) - Thanks for the tips concerning all that.

The real question I had is referencing the top image, from the service manual. I want to know how I could find the "light" side of the converter and the "heavy" side of the engine (reflected on the flex plate). I don't have the markings anymore as I foolishly painted over them.

Or does the orientation of the torque converter to flex plate REALLY even matter?

Thanks!
I never had an issue bolting it in any order myself. Shouldn't be a problem, and if so it's easy enough to unbolt and spin if you are chasing a balance problem.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts