Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, been a while. I hope all is well. I took this 1964 Chevy II wagon in trade and slowly going over it. I recently replaced the tires, while mounting the rear wheels I noticed that the passenger rear has lowering blocks and that driver side was missing a lowering block. I don’t care for lowering blocks too much, plus I’ve heard that it increases wheels hop. Any theories as to what happened to the driver side lowering block? Is it possible it could’ve just fell off? I did notice that the driver side U bolts were pretty loose and not tightened all the way. Or does this have anything to do with counteracting that “Chevy lean” I was thinking of taking off the remaining block.. Anything I need to watch out for when removing rear leafs springs (Safety wise)?

This wagon appears to have an older restoration and appears to have had a decent “Hotrod” type build. Anyone recognize what kind of rear control arms or weird looking traction bars these are. Sorry for the long post thnx guys. Refer to pictures for further.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
rear end

Disconnect the driveshaft , shocks, brake connection on the pumpkin. and the leaf spring front eye bolts and rear shackle bolts.. the whole rear end will roll out in one piece.. The mono leaf springs could be different "rates" therefore the block only on one side to balance the rear end.. I have a few different blocks if you need to replace the drivers side..

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Disconnect the driveshaft , shocks, brake connection on the pumpkin. and the leaf spring front eye bolts and rear shackle bolts.. the whole rear end will roll out in one piece.. The mono leaf springs could be different "rates" therefore the block only on one side to balance the rear end.. I have a few different blocks if you need to replace the drivers side..
Thanks for the reply. Different leaf spring rate definitely crossed my mind. or maybe even pinion angle? I think I'm just gonna remove the remaining lowering block and replace the worn leaf spring pad and go from there. Btw u happen to have a source for a decent 63 Acadian grill up in your neck of the woods?

·
Premium Member
1,729 Posts
acadian

There is a site called Canadian Poncho , on line, that has a forum similar to Steves... there is an Acadian / Beaumont section parts for sale.. Is that what you are working on??

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
There is a site called Canadian Poncho , on line, that has a forum similar to Steves... there is an Acadian / Beaumont section parts for sale.. Is that what you are working on??
Let me check out that forum. I have a 63 Acadian vert. The PO replaced the original Acadian grill with a ChevyII grill (Not sure why?). I want to try and restore it back to an Acadian. You don't see too many of them in the US. I'm currently working on the 64 Chevy II wagon as grocery getter.

·
Registered
2,806 Posts
That’s a pretty scary setup you have there.. I opted not to use lowering blocks on my 64 when I realized there was no way to keep the blocks located on top of the leaf springs.. No locating pins and no holes..

·
Registered
406 Posts
Not totally off topic but will an 64 Acadian grill bolt into a 64 nova without any modifications or other pieces?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,287 Posts
looks like the lowering block fell out. especially if your saying the u bolts are loose. i would also get rid of those slapper bars on there. i have a set of the factory lower plates with shock mounts. you will most likely need to change those u bolts too. they may not have enough thread to tighten up fully

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
looks like the lowering block fell out. especially if your saying the u bolts are loose. i would also get rid of those slapper bars on there. i have a set of the factory lower plates with shock mounts. you will most likely need to change those u bolts too. they may not have enough thread to tighten up fully
Yeah, I went ahead and removed the remaining block, installed new leaf spring pads, installed 1 inch shorter U bolts..slapper bars are a no-go huh?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts