Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking for any information I can to determine the history of my 69 Nova. I have the VIN and looked up the information on that. I do not see the Fisher Body Tag that is supposed to be on the firewall so it was removed when restored by a previous owner. :confused: Are there any other numbers I can investigate to determine original parts/paint/interior configuration?

I ran across a post that contained the following info but I have yet to find any numbers there that give me any history on the car. I also checked the Fisher Body Manual and it only shows the location of the original body tag.

*Dated parts and ~Stamped Numbers

* Fuel Tank
*~ Rear axle housing and gears
*~Transmission
* Radiator, trim tag
*~ Block
*~ Flywheel
* BB Intake
*~ Carb
*~ Distributor
*~Brake booster
*~ Starter
*~ Alternator
*~ Voltage Regulator
* Horn

~ Quarter Panels, top near trunk hinge
~ A Pillar between hinges
*~ Hood, front left side
* All glass
* Rims, at the valve stem
* Jack assembly

Registered
1970 Nova SS 350 Brandon, MS
Other than a build sheet or protect-o-plate it will be nearly impossible to find what you are looking for. Why would anyone remove and discard the cowl tag?? Maybe someone replaced the firewall? If so, try to contact the restorer, maybe they still have the removed one?

Looking at pictures in another thread, I think the restorers probably removed the cowl tag in the process of cleaning up the firewall and overall engine compartment. They succeeded, because it looks spotless.

Mark already indicated the car has a 327 VIN, so that makes it a six cylinder and eliminates any chance it's an SS. If the absence of exterior trim is the way it came in 1969, it probably was born a bare bones six cylinder coupe with an automatic transmission and not much else. The cowl tag probably had very little useful information other than the body build week and exterior/ interior color codes. The 3rd generation cowl tags didn't have all the option info that 1st and 2nd gen cars had.

Bob

Registered
Discussion Starter #4
Looking at pictures in another thread, I think the restorers probably removed the cowl tag in the process of cleaning up the firewall and overall engine compartment. They succeeded, because it looks spotless.

Mark already indicated the car has a 327 VIN, so that makes it a six cylinder and eliminates any chance it's an SS. If the absence of exterior trim is the way it came in 1969, it probably was born a bare bones six cylinder coupe with an automatic transmission and not much else. The cowl tag probably had very little useful information other than the body build week and exterior/ interior color codes. The 3rd generation cowl tags didn't have all the option info that 1st and 2nd gen cars had.

Bob
This thread was just me being curious about the original setup of my 69. I dont intend to revert what I have back to its original configuration. I dont know who completed the restoration as I purchased the car from a dealership in Michigan and I would not trust a word of what they say. I can certainly tell whoever worked on this car was doing as little as possible to do it the "right" way. I have yet to find a spot where I see any indication of what the original color was. I assume if it was a bare bones car that black interior and bench seats were stock. I found the original rear seat belts under the bottom bench seat and they were black. I know the engine is not original but could the auto T350 transmission be?

Registered
Hi Mark ...

I'm the guy that asked about your "Dash Vin # " (113279W)

at that time -- I was looking at u'r under Hood Pictures ....... and, didn't see any 'Cowl tag' .../...

on my 69 (plain jane / original 6 w/ pg) but, my cowl tag is "114279" ..... which has been stated as "Fisher Body would stamp (pretty much all cars as V8's) ..... but they go by the "dash Vin # ...... which to my car is correct. (( check your paper work : see if your #'s match your 'dash #)).
My cowl tag does have correct : paint code #, trim #, build date # (month & week) ... and as Bob says that's about all that's there.
Contact the place you got the car from ... could just be an 'over-sight' , maybe. They did do a great job of smoothing your fire-wall , and your 69 looks great ........ but, that tag would be good to have.

later, jim

I know the engine is not original but could the auto T350 transmission be?
Yes, it could be if the car was originally an automatic. The TH350 was an available transmission for six cylinders, although I think powerglides were more common.

Bob

1 - 6 of 6 Posts