Chevy Nova Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all
I just pulled the cam from my 396 and I found that I have a Crane cam with comp roller rockers. Does it matter that they’re diff brands? I pulled it because the lifter closest to the firewall on passenger side was worn concave and actually created a weep hole in the bottom of the lifter.
I don’t know anything about this motor in terms of specs, and I’m green when it comes to this stuff.
so I was just going to pull the cam # and replace it and the lifters. Ideas?

thanks
Tom

·
Premium Member
1972 6 Cylinder Dragster :)
521 Posts
As far as I know it really shouldn’t matter. In most cases I would imagine that guys would buy a cam kit that includes lifters but it’s entirely possible to mix and match brands and there’s no harm as far as I can tell as long as it’s the correct lifters for the type of cam

·
Registered
279 Posts
If the lifter was worn concave like you said, there is major overhauling you might have to do. Usually the cam lobe of that lifter is worn rounder. All that metal has gotten pumped through and may have damaged your main bearings. Have you noticed lower than normal oil pressure at idle? That is the first sign of the bearings damage.

As far as the lifters, it doesn't matter they aren't the same brand as the cam manufacture, All of the cam companies allow for separate purchases of kits with lifters or a cam separate for those that like to pick different parts.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
If the lifter was worn concave like you said, there is major overhauling you might have to do. Usually the cam lobe of that lifter is worn rounder. All that metal has gotten pumped through and may have damaged your main bearings. Have you noticed lower than normal oil pressure at idle? That is the first sign of the bearings damage.

As far as the lifters, it doesn't matter they aren't the same brand as the cam manufacture, All of the cam companies allow for separate purchases of kits with lifters or a cam separate for those that like to pick different parts.
Bottom end sounded fine to me, and the oil pressure was fine as well. I do not have the experience to tear this motor down and wouldn’t know where to bring it.

·
Registered
1,123 Posts
Drain the oil in a clean pan and see how much metal is in it. You MAY have gotten lucky and the filter caught most of it.
Once the oil is in the pan shine a light on it to really see if it has metal in it. You can also cut the oil filter. Every bit of the lifter that was wore is in the engine some where. You can also let the oil settle in the pan. Once it has been in the pan several hours pour it out and look at the bottom of the pan and the last bit of oil that comes out of the pan.

·
Premium Member
7,988 Posts
If the roller lifter is "worn concave" like you say then the cam lobe is almost certainly wasted too. It would be foolish to install new lifters without pulling the cam to check first.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
If the roller lifter is "worn concave" like you say then the cam lobe is almost certainly wasted too. It would be foolish to install new lifters without pulling the cam to check first.
Yes the cam lobe is wasted, I pulled it yesterday. When Im off work on wed I will call to get a replacement set.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I'd probably drop the oil pan and clean it, as well as check the oil pick up screen. Might was well pull a rod cap off and look at the bearings while you're in there. I'd also replace the timing chain. Cheap insurance. Good time to think about the parts you have on the motor, trans, gear ratio, etc., and select a cam that best suits your application.

·
Registered
198 Posts
I would pull the engine and rebuild it. It will need a hone and bearings, and oil pump at a minimum. And when you put it back together put a hydraulic roller cam in it. No flat tappet cams, they don't live. The flat tappet cam cores and lifters suck, not like the good old days.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
So the cam is a crane cam CCH-266-2. Part number 113931
I know crane is no more, but the catalog online states that it is used in small blocks so now I’m confused I’ve attached pics of the casting number and cam Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exterior Bumper
Wood Composite material Gas Automotive tire Circle

·
Registered
844 Posts
Crane ground the CCH-266-2 cam grind for just about every engine in their catalog.....it's the same lobe profile for all of them, they just have different lifts because of each make of engine has a different rocker ratio.

The 113931 is the SBC number, 363931 is the SB Ford number, etc.

i think the older Crane # for the BBC version was #CCR-266-H10

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So I’ve been having a hard time finding a cam set. Basically the cam I removed is pretty much stock. I was able to find out that based off the # on the motor it came out of a 71 chevelle.
I can find mild cams but the valve lift is more than what I have now, and I do not have stock rockers, They are comp cams 1.72 rollers. So I am concerned about the valve striking the piston. Is this a legit concern?

·
Registered
1,332 Posts
It’s not the valve lift you have to be concerned with. The piston is not closest to the valve at full lift. It’s closest when the valve is opening and closing. So if you get something close to what you have it won’t be an issue. Big blocks can handle a decent cam before piston to valve contact is an issue.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts