Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,249 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I originality posted this in D&P and it should be better posted here.

Since so many of our members, are minitubbing their cars,have minitubbed in the past,or wanting to,can't we firgure out a way to gather up all of this info in one place so that we have a single source?
I would think that with the knowledge base among our members,we could come up with a standardize procedure to minitub each generation of car.
I know there is lots of details to work out,but I do think this is something that could be done.

Random thoughts: Mike

·
Registered
348 Posts
i agree, its a great idea.

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts
novamike said:
I originality posted this in D&P and it should be better posted here.

Since so many of our members, are minitubbing their cars,have minitubbed in the past,or wanting to,can't we firgure out a way to gather up all of this info in one place so that we have a single source?
I would think that with the knowledge base among our members,we could come up with a standardize procedure to minitub each generation of car.
I know there is lots of details to work out,but I do think this is something that could be done.

Random thoughts: Mike
Here are a few threads on this site I was able to find with a quick look

subframe leafspring clearance issues

I will see what else I can find on the web I know there are a few sites out there :)

·
Premium Member
10,210 Posts

·
Premium Member
11,456 Posts
This thread is sticky now. So keep adding to it if you want. If you are only covering the tubbing and not the suspension aspect, perhaps it should be moved to the "body" section.

Dan

·
Banned
26,231 Posts
wow !!! looks to me like you guys are doing some homework !!! way ta go !! when you get it all together... why don't one of you post all the links you like, together.... they need to be in the real link form (not coded to say "tub"... ya know what i mean ??) i'll copy/paste them in a section of "Web Links"

Johnny (looks like some real good info here !!!) for all to use !!! :D :D :D

I

·
0 Posts
i would like to run 255/55/17 on the rear of my 69 nova which i think are about 28" tall---my Foose(s) are 17x8.5 with 4.5 backspacing

i havnt tried to put them on it since i will pick my 69 shell up from an acid wash :D

then onto body work

any help would be great
peace
ITA

·
Registered
663 Posts
Im going to start hacking away at my wells pretty soon. Didn't want to but i dont think i will be satisified with the wheel that the stock wells will hold so this post will be a god sent to me!

Thanks for all the links and info guys, i will have many questions to come!

-Rennskii

·
Registered
631 Posts
Well I started on my mini-tub job today, I got the whole drivers side fenderwell cut out, but I'm trying to figure out the best way to remove the part of the trunk floor that has the steel plates in it for the shock mount.
The other thing is, for the ones who have done this job, do you cut the floor pan all the way flush to the frame rails on the front portion of the tub up near the fron spring perch. I haven't seen any pics of that yet. Thanks for any info. Also I hope I'm not the only one that is going to have to do some patch welding here and there when it's all said and done.

·
Premium Member
2,453 Posts
To cut thought the area with the shock mount, I used a cutoff wheel, and a pry bar to seperate the very thick shock mount.

I did not cut up to the frame in the front, I left somewhere around 2" up front. I marked a line in inside of the the wheel housing, cut, then moved the whole wheel housing in two inches, then marked the area that needed cutting out with leaving a little exta to trim after welding it back in.

hth

·
Premium Member
3,031 Posts
Scott, like newguy stated, don't cut right up to the frame when you are cutting the inner tub out. I suggest scribing a line off of the inner tub profile onto the trunk floor. Make this line short of the final position where the tub will be moved to. This way you have extra material on the trunk floor that you can remove - a little at a time. If you are accurate with the cuts and welds, you won't have to weld in filler metal to patch things up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Here's the first set of pictures, tomorrow I expect to cut the frame rails and start boxing in the frame.

This is cut to frame rail, wheel hanging with 3" drop blocks

upper side, wheel hanging

ride heigth, all weight on rearend

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Here's some pictures form today, outer tub is back in place and welded back in. Funny, the gap, its about 2 1/2 inches at the base and about 1 1/4 at the top. I think it looks good and will look better once the kittyhair is applied on top and the bottom is cleaned up.

·
Registered
1,463 Posts
Well, both sides are done. I didn't take any pictures of the passenger side at all, guess I was to motivated to stop and take any. Here's the finished product.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts