Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
2,506 Posts
Finally, what I've been looking for:cool: Looks good, keep us posted with updates...I'll have some questions for ya too:rolleyes:

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to plate the section taken out and install a flat plate to the inner part of the rail. More than likely I will also install a 1x2 rect tubing(or something similar) between the rails for added support. I will probably over-engineer it but, better safe than sorry. I am picking up all of the metal to make the plates and stiffeners tomorrow and hopefully going to have one side done this week. I need to decide on weather to make my old tub fit or just bite the bullet and order a set of the DSE deep tubs.

·
Premium Member
8,046 Posts
I saw a set of the DSE tubs at a Goodguys show a while back. When my car gets redone in a couple more years' I plan on a set of those for mine. They look awsome. They had them splatter painted if you didn't know the difference you couldn't tell they were installed. It was a slick setup.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
DSE tubs are super nice I know.. Just dont know about the price tag though! Probably money well spent. I just wish I could find someone wit ha set they weren't going to use and buy them for cheap.

·
Premium Member
2,139 Posts
I notched the frame rails on my '67 when I re-mini tubbed. I used 1/8" plate. I have coil over shocks so the upper mounting bar goes in between the frame rails and the back tubes of the roll bar attach to the frame. So I dont think there is any structure sacrifice.
Brandon

·
Registered
141 Posts
how rusty/rotted are those frame rails? im only asking because my car has holes in the spot that you cut out and theyre caving in a little in some places. im getting ready for a new 9 inch rearend this winter as well as putting in my caltracs, the smith racecraft rear suspension, fuel cell, and 6 pt. i was planning on putting in replacement frame rails from comp engineering or S&W but if i could possibly save the rails i have it would save me some money. dont know if this would be a good idea or not. on top of it all my sister backed into my car a few weeks back and kinked one frame rail and wrinkled my quarter pretty good so it has to be pulled now. i like how you knotched into the frame rail for more clearance but i dont know if my rails are too far gone to do that and keep structural integrity. i could prob weld plates to stiffen them but i dont want it to look hack or get too heavy. prob gonna buy rails but just wondering what condition your rails were in.

thanks
Ian

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The rails are in very good shape and not real rusty at all. I an goingto plate the back side and the notch with 3/16 plate and tube between the rails. I sorta feel that it will possibly be stronger than stock by the time I am done (hopefully!)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts