Chevy Nova Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can anyone recommend a good complete easy to weld minitub kit and what would be the widest inch rim and tire combination I could fit under the rear of my 71? I would like a touring tucked look even if it means having to get a fabricated rear.

Well if noone knows then I may look into DSE.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
I have the DSE ones. With those you need to notch the frame rails and they will allow a 315 tucked under there. Anything wider from there you would likely need to start messing with the frame rails. I've seen some frame rails that are notched to allow a wider tub and wheel or you can move the frame rails in. Either way, once you start moving the frame rails it's a lot of work and you would need a smaller gas tank. You're best bet is to go with the DSE ones. Look at my build thread if you want to see pics. I'm going to run a 315 and haven't decided on a 11" or 12" rim. Will likely go 11 as the ones I like come in an 11" and I wouldn't have to have them widened. If I go with a 3 piece rim, I might go 12". There are a couple other detailed threads that show the DSE install hardcore has one http://www.stevesnovasite.com/forums/showthread.php?t=69249&highlight=tubbing I couldn't find the other one I was thinking of. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah sorry about that scherp. I really need to read through your build really good. I went to the swap meet and we were eyeing some really nice cars today. I thought I was going to go home with another car so my head is spinning. I think Im really trying to match your build but with the stock front subframe.

·
Premium Member
1,647 Posts
lol...no worries. That's why somedays I avoid sway meets. My original plans did not include the Speed Tech subframe, but then I thought for 2k extra, why not. Then I liked the idea of running the wider tires up front and r&p steering and before I knew it, I ordered the rest of the set up with the high clearance control arms, etc. If you need any more info on my build, don't hesitate to ask. I enjoy sharing my ideas/thoughts/plans etc with other people.

·
Registered
3,849 Posts
Im kinda old fashioned, OK, just poor :D I made my tubs out of 16ga sheet metal. I could get full sheets of sheet metal for the cost of the "kits" and have some steel left over for some fire wall or tranny tunnel. And its so easy, just make your templates (heavy construction paper) and cut the steel. Put a bend to it and stuff it up and weld. Just as easy as the kit metal sold but more durable. The kits are thin. You can mount heavy items, like the trunk lid brackets, on the tubs made from 18 or 16ga steel. And my steel supplier delivers (IMS) for free!!! Cant beat that and they are the cheapest dealer around So Cal.. JR

Oh, and it gave me 19 inches of room from the frame to the inside quarter, thats alot of tire if you need it.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Does anyone know what the widest rim or tire you can fit under a 3rd gen with just a minitub? I took a look under and did some measurements and the shocks and wheel wells hit well before the leaf springs.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I can't say what will fit with leaf springs, but with the mini tubs and the prodigy bar set up, I have 10" rims right now with 285's and I have 2 1/2 inches of clearance still. I plan on running either a 11 or 12" rim with 315's on mine. Don't have them yet though. Hope this helps.
Everything helps thanks.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I have the DSE ones with the frame notch as they designed it. Running 17X11 rims and Nitto 315's. Any wider rim would stretch the tire too much and look funky. The M/T's are 1/2 wider than the Nittos but not a very good street tire. I have some wiggle room but planning on very low and tucked in the rear. When I burn the Nitto's off, Im going to try 335's. 13.4 section width.
Buying the DSE ones in my opinion is worth every penny as you save a ton of time and they fit great. Notching the frame rail is easy too.
I relocated the leafs using Speedtech offset hangers in the back, which also means narrowed gas tank.

·
Registered
2,332 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Nice info on the shackles. So is thats all thats needed? Just the offset shackles, narrowed tank, and relocated shocks. Anything else you can think of?

·
Registered
156 Posts
Rewelded or DSE spring pads for the axle. Front mount stays the same except for slotting the outer bolt hole to allow the spring to change angle a little.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts